Coming clean......

Slowro

I need to confess, I've been back on a bike after over 12 years. 

Enough excuses, I can't get on the back wheel. At all! No wheelies, no manuals no hops. 

I was a natural on a bike when I was riding everyday and I'm finding a mental block. 

I am trying and I will keep trying but I'm glad I got that off my chest

I'm an absolute newbie, so I'm hoping this learning method will give me some confidence on the back wheel:

I built a 2 x 3' raised box from wood leftovers, to try that in my garage. We had 10 cm of new snow last night, and another 10 coming tomorrow. I haven't found any studded trials tires yet, so my bike's garage bound until spring.

Edited by DeersSlayer

I learnt to pedal hop by doing wheelies and then pulling my rear brake so wheelie stop and wheelie stop but without lowering my frount wheel....also i found it really hard to learn to do them on a box because u hop backwards and them you cant do the pedal kicks fawards which is the way youll use it most so its just bad habbits......go on youtube and search for think bike tutorials and it will show u what im on about

4 hours ago, Onza trails said:

I learnt to pedal hop by doing wheelies and then pulling my rear brake so wheelie stop and wheelie stop but without lowering my frount wheel....also i found it really hard to learn to do them on a box because u hop backwards and them you cant do the pedal kicks fawards which is the way youll use it most so its just bad habbits......go on youtube and search for think bike tutorials and it will show u what im on about

The second video I posted shows 3 methods: the box, the endo, and the pedal kick. I don't think my limited winter practice space is big enough for me to try the pedal kick. Once I get comfortable bouncing on the rear wheel, I'll try the other 2. I spent a *lot* of time on my mountain bike last summer, including sometimes lofting the front wheel with a half revolution pedal. I'm confident in my leg muscles' strength and speed, the quads and calves. Learning control will take me time. Lots of time! ;-)

• Like 1

I have a skate park nearby but it has been wet and/or frozen for weeks. 

Tarty just delivered a new shorter stem and chain splitter for me. I took a couple links out to bring the wheel forward and I am starting to find the pivot point a bit easier. It's defo my head that's the problem!