What brakes?

Onza trails

12 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

You missed out XT and SLX/ deore. They're all much better brakes than people give them credit for... My XT are savage.

I actually had them on the list but them remembered the pad knock... Can be very unnerving but yeah... and since you talk about these three... since they have the same caliper, the Deores are just as fine with less lever adjustment.

Edited by niconj

The thing about modern shimano is that the calipers just aren't as strong as they used to be, I'd be worried about them snapping on bigger moves.

That's why I like Magura, the calipers are some of the strongest I've seen and it gives me loads of confidence. Any pad knocking can be fixed with a bit of tape or patience until the pistons make a groove to sit in.

7 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:
19 minutes ago, niconj said:

Saints and Zee's are the same for pad rock! Duct tape on the pads... Sorted.

Will try that. I have ordered a Zee caliper that I will marry to an 810 lever. My MT5 on the rear are cool and all but they seem to be prone to rubbing due to the tiny gap between the pads. I hate rubbing rotors and come to think of it, pad knock is horrible on the MT5 as well.

@Ali C The old Saint 810 calipers broke as well from what I've read on this forum. I broke a Zee caliper but I really think that it was more the cheap Shimano adapter that led to it rather than the caliper itself. Since then I run Hope adapters.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

There's definitely a difference in strength, I did see the occasional broken older Saint calipers but now it seems every one of the newer models breaks. I had the older model for 4 years and Danny had used it for a year before that....I doubt a new one would hold up one month with Danny's riding.

9 minutes ago, Ali C said:

There's definitely a difference in strength, I did see the occasional broken older Saint calipers but now it seems every one of the newer models breaks. I had the older model for 4 years and Danny had used it for a year before that....I doubt a new one would hold up one month with Danny's riding.

Lol... I just hope it comes down to the adaptor used with the brake. I broke my Zee in less than a month when I was doing smaller stuff than I do now. An MT5 with a bigger gap would be so cool. Talk to Magura about it please. :D

Edited by niconj

If you want to keep the cost down stick with shimano. I've had plenty of time to experiment on a few different ones, from 4 piston shimano saints new/old calipers and the new zee ones. The only main thing I found why so many people have snapped calipers thinking they were weak isn't the problem. It's down to the amount of force and strength in that area on the back brake. First you need a Fat Hayes disc brake adaptor mount, so it takes away the shock using a 203mm rotor. Once you have this you can run any style in there range. My setup atm is a shimano 4piston zee caliper on the rear, and a Shimano 2piston M506 ( deore ) front. Running the Shimano M506 deore levers in black. I also decided earlier this year to try 2piston on the front to reduce the power, but still keep some bight on the pads. Pads F/R are EBC red pads, always ran them and have been brilliant. Hope that helps

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Fat Hayes disc brake adaptor mount

I think a Hope adapter will do the trick as well. On the other hand, I somehow doubt that it's only the adaptor. How will it take away the amount of stress put on the caliper bolt holes (where the calipers tend to brake)? Mine broke after only a months use and a 180mm rotor. I used the Shimano adaptor though which was bent like a banana.

34 minutes ago, niconj said:

I think a Hope adapter will do the trick as well. On the other hand, I somehow doubt that it's only the adaptor. How will it take away the amount of stress put on the caliper bolt holes (where the calipers tend to brake)? Mine broke after only a months use and a 180mm rotor. I used the Shimano adaptor though which was bent like a banana.

I use hope adapters. Never had a problem, as they're built laterally rather than horizontally like the shimanos. (So it's super beefy from the side, whereas the shimanos are super skinny and snap. Both are the same width.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

What bleed kits are people using for shimano M810s? Sorry to hijack. 

None. Just two syringes and a hose to connect one syringe to the caliper.

I bleed them this way only that I roll the diaphragm at the end in order to not have any air inside the reservoir. 

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice i think ill get some mt5s but im still considering the new avid elixir cr sl cause my friend has them and they are really good but the only problem is they have no resivoir which make its hard to bleed and burp them so mt5s are looking better

• 2 months later...