Riding shoes / jacket

Danny

I need some decent shoes for riding in. Five ten obviously do some nice looking ones but they are pretty pricy. 

Are they really worth the money?

Can anyone also recommend a lightweight jacket? Thinking something wind/water proof that I can keep in my bag for emergencies. 

I think it comes down, in part, to how serious a rider you are and how much you like to have the "right" gear for the job.

I'm not sure if it's just a remnant of my earlier skint-trials-riding-student-tightarse days, but I still do all my riding in a pair of reasonably cheap skate shoes (currently a set of <£30 DC Blitz). So long as you're running a decent set of pedals, I've always gotten on as well with this sort of thing as most people seem to with more expensive and/or "MTB-specific" shoes. Provided they've got a flat sole to avoid catching in the arch for awkward positioning, and a decent grippy rubber profile (some cheap shoes are flat, but very hard/not a good "tread pattern/compound", if that makes sense?) you can't go far wrong. I normally relegate part-worn everyday skate shoes to riding duty after they become a little less presentable, and will get 6-12 months riding use out of them after I deem them unfit for daily use.

For reference, I tend to ride a few times a month and avoid the worst of the torrential weather where possible, so having totally waterproof shoes wasn't too high on my list of requirements. I'm the kind of casual rider you see on the trails in generic padded MTB shorts and a normal tee, rather than fully kitted out in racing jerseys and the like. If you're going to be spending a little more time in the soaking wet, or looking to add to an already well-equipped riding wardrobe, then take the above with a pinch of salt as all-day comfort needs to be factored in too.

• Like 1

I wear my shimano mt51s all the time (funnily enough being clipped) and they're superb, comfy enough for all day rides, can walk and drive in them fine. Not waterproof at all but with a pair of merino wool socks that isn't too much of an issue unless it's really inclement - for that there's sealskinz.  I've not used the shimano flat shoes myself but give the quality of my boots I wouldn't hesitate to try some out for flat pedal use. 

Jacket wise I have an endura convertable jacket/gilet thingy, the arms zip off and stash in a back pocket, it rolls up small enough to just about fit into the bungee strap on my tiny camelbak (the one I don't use anymore because it has space for car keys and aphone and that's about it!).  It's windproof, waterproof and keeps you nice and warm as long as you're not stood still for too long.

I'll just comment on shoes cause my jackets I ride in are terrible and I need a proper dedicated one ha.

With regards to shoes there's plenty of options out there but in terms of performance nothing seems to compare to five tens. The grip, comfort and rigidity seem spot on. I've had plenty of experience with them or been around others trying alternatives and five tens always come out on top.

In terms of lifespan I've had my five ten free riders 2 and a half years now and they've done ~700 laps in whistler bike park and god knows how much xc/enduro riding in that time and I'm confident they'll last at least until the end of the next summer season. Although I have seen people with the five ten impacts have issues with the sole separating where it is glued on the side but this can be repaired but isn't ideal. 

I'd advise getting some free riders (they're the cheapest too) and you won't look back until a long time in the future when they eventually wear out.

I tend to ride in padded mtb shorts and a riding jersey. If I wear a jacket it'll normally just be a hoodie, but obviously that's useless if it rains. I don't often ride in the rain so I haven't got a proper jacket, but if I was commuting I'd invest in one.

Shoes I just use skate shoe plimsoll types - I am looking to get some five tens though as my friends have them and they seem WAY better for the job. Price is putting me off a bit though.

I use Shimano Am41 flats. They are super stiff and quite hard to get used to but after a while they feel great. Almost like your pedal is the size of your foot! They're not quite as grippy as the 510s I have but they do have a strap that covers the laces, warning off puddle splashes, keeping your feet drier for longer compared to a shoe without the flap.

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a wanky gore jacket two years ago for about £130, i wear it all the time, as a summer jacket and for riding in, it's designed for cycling; the arms and back are longer for when your stretched out, subsequently it doesn't pull tight or feel uncomrtable when i'm stretching or tucking for trials, it's not baggy or lose either so it doesn't catch. if you know your gonna use it more than just a trials thing  it's well worth it, until i annihilate it f**king up i imagine it's gonna look unfashionable as f**k before it stops being practical it's super thin material so i can usually pack it into a small bag for riding too. something like this or any softshell jacket is probably what you want.

I wear Adidas Terrex Trail Cross for riding in as well as everyday. They've got the stealth sole and are similar in build to fivetens (obviously with adidas owning both) and they're are a specific riding shoe. Worth a look as mine have seem some serious hammer and are still holding up well. As for a jacket I've got an Altura Mayhem jacket I wear everyday, waterproof, lightweight, good pockets, vents and removable hood. Definitely recommend that! 

I've bought some Freeriders about half a year ago and that's what they pretty much last for me. :( The sole is very grippy but doesn't last very long. :( In the picture you can see where the pins of my pedals are. It really is annoying as I can feel them through the sole and sometimes, when I bail, I cannot get my foot off the pedal sideways as the pins dig into the holes. I've had many Five Tens (Freeriders 3x, Spitfire 2x, Sleuth 1x) and none have lasted more than half a year, maybe 3/4 of a year. How they last 2 1/2 years for @Duncy H I cannot quite understand.

IMG_20170211_103652.jpg

Edited by niconj

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been out on the full sus every weekend since october through the rain sleet snow hail wind rain in scotland , and i can tell you the endura  stuff is great, yes its dear but i have been dry and reasonably warm through the winter and in january i bought the shimano am5 shoes with shimano spd caged pedals and been great, £100 all in for shoes and pedals and they feel like flats but with spd adjust to very slack i can clip in/out no probs now and great pedal efficiency so  im really looking forward to summer for long nights and dry fast single track and hopefully less bike washing more ridding

• Like 1