Magura Mt2 opinions

Duncy H

I'm looking to see if anyone in the know can shed some light on the new magura mt2 brakes. On the face of it they seem to be very good value for money and look to be similar to MT6s just without the lever adjustability.

Ive not had any experiences with magura discs. I'm a big fan of the workings and feel of shimano brakes, having used xt, slx and zees on my mountain bikes for quite a while now and would be interested to find out what they compare like to those. Slx brakes are my other likely choice apart from the Maguras.

Theyre to go on an inspired console, likely on 180mm ice tech rotors.

Thanks

The MT2 have a two piece caliper and from what I've read on other forums, are worse than the Deore Brakes. I've got an old MT4 (standard pads and SLX 203mm rotor) on the front and it works very well. Ben Travis rides the MT6 front and rear and is very satisfied with them. Since the only difference between MT4 and MT6 is the toolless lever adjustability, performance wise they should be the same. 

18 hours ago, niconj said:

Not anymore. They seem to have changed it:

freno_maguramt2_055.jpg

It used to be 2-piece, they've changed to one-piece.  They no longer have the same hose as shown in that photo, they've switched to a different fitting/hose system now as shown on our website.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mark W said:

It used to be 2-piece, they've changed to one-piece.  They no longer have the same hose as shown in that photo, they've switched to a different fitting/hose system now as shown on our website.

Yeah. The MT6 caliper has undergone some changes too. It's supposed to be stiffer now. I really don't see any difference in the MT2/4/6 caliper now. It looks only a bit different...

MT2:

mt2_usp2.png

MT4:

mt4_usp2.png

MT6:

mt6_usp2.png

They base everything on making their products modular so they can hit different OEM price points, that's why they're all so similar.  As an end product they're different though.  For example, the MT2 now comes with what appears to be regular rim brake hose and a regular barbed fitting rather than a banjo fitting (which makes routing the hose neater/easier/better) and the reinforced Kevlar hose.  It's mainly differences in the details like those.

6 minutes ago, Mark W said:

They base everything on making their products modular so they can hit different OEM price points, that's why they're all so similar.  As an end product they're different though.  For example, the MT2 now comes with what appears to be regular rim brake hose and a regular barbed fitting rather than a banjo fitting (which makes routing the hose neater/easier/better) and the reinforced Kevlar hose.  It's mainly differences in the details like those.

But the caliper is really the same isn't it?