Removing a stripped allen bolt?

iron_panda

Hey guys, I went to put a spacer on my headset today but couldn't get the stem off as one of the allen screws have been stripped :( Just wondering if anyone knows a way of getting it out? I've seen a few suggestions on YouTube but they all seem to be for cars and generally bigger, manageable screws. 

Thanks for any help!

Edited by iron_panda

On 1/9/2017 at 2:37 PM, Alex Dark said:

Tap an oversized torx bit into the the allen key head

Had a look at the torx bits I have and the largest one is a tiny bit too small for a good fit but thanks for the suggestion! I'm sure I know some one that has a full set of torx bits.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:34 PM, Dave Anscombe said:

if its flush,then the above advice/video will sort out the problem,But if you have the bolt head exposed ,get a hacksaw ,saw grove deep enough for hefty fla thead screwdriver.......You can do it :) 

It's half flush. The stem has a space manufactured out for the bolt to recede into it :(

I think at the risk of scratching and/or damaging the bike I think I'll take it into my local shop and get them to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

ive had this happen to me multiple times. drilling the bolt out is the easiest way but you have to be extremely careful when getting close to the inside threads.

alternatively, depending on how stripped it is. you could try super gluing an Allen key in the bolt head. never tried this but could potentially work 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:26 AM, Jack Heard said:

ive had this happen to me multiple times. drilling the bolt out is the easiest way but you have to be extremely careful when getting close to the inside threads.

alternatively, depending on how stripped it is. you could try super gluing an Allen key in the bolt head. never tried this but could potentially work 

Yeah in fear of tearing apart the stem I think I'll avoid that method hah.

I'll see if I have a spare allen key laying around. I have a set but it's a case of ruining 1 I ruin the rest as they're all screwed together.

Thanks for the help! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iron_panda said:

Yeah in fear of tearing apart the stem I think I'll avoid that method hah.

I'll see if I have a spare allen key laying around. I have a set but it's a case of ruining 1 I ruin the rest as they're all screwed together.

Thanks for the help! :)

No worries. As I said never tried it before but it's a bodge that might be worth a go. 

Good luck :) 

Your best bet would be easy outs, you can get them at a small enough size in a set, and should fit in the Allen key hole quite nicely. 

Failing that I'd go with the Torx method, I believe a torx 27/30 would be the right sort of size for a stripped Allen key, (provided its a 5mm head) 

On 30/01/2017 at 9:43 PM, iron_panda said:

Success! The torx bit worked!

@Julius Czar Never heard of the easy outs til you mentioned them. Looks like they can come in handy for all sorts.

Believe me, they've saved me more times than I care to think! Turns a nightmare job into a fairly simple one in most cases. :)