Is finish line fiber grip necessary?

Sam Song

I suppose that it isn't really necessary but it reduces the torque you need quite a bit. I even use it when mounting aluminum bars. It reduces those clicking sounds of the bar especially when it's anodized. I don't use finish line though. Dynamic assembly paste is my favorite. Probably the same though. 

I have no torque wrench, but I do have he carbon grip stuff... just tighten it to where you think it should be, and like me it will probably come loose with a bang on your first huge gap - put it back and tighten more.

worked for me w my pro trialtech carbon bars-  rock man is a tiny weak unheard of company don't  know how it will work for you.

Edited by AndyT

On 1/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, Sam Song said:

How about a torque wrench? Is that necessary for the carbon bars? 

Yes, you don't have to buy anything insane though; this topeak one is quite primitive but for the sake of a tenner you know your less likely to have any drama or damage. thats what i use for my tt carbons and i've had no drama from them :) don't forget to grease your bolts properly prior to torquing everything up cause that will affect things too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ogre said:

don't forget to grease your bolts properly prior to torquing everything up cause that will affect things too.

I'm pretty sure torque wrenches are designed/adjusted to be used on clean/dry screws without any grease on them. If you use grease, a torque wrench set to 5Nm will most likely click later = more torque than you've actually wanted.

I've got the Syntace one and have tightened screws (without any grease on them) for years without any problems. Especially for those super lightweight road bike handlebars it comes in handy.

With grease = 20-25% less torque. 

Let's say you want to tighten your handlebars to 5Nm. With grease on the bolts you would need to set your torque wrench to about 3.8Nm. Or if you set it to 5Nm, you'd actually be using around 6.2Nm.

Edited by niconj

• 3 months later...

I have rockman rockbar carbons and I've just tightened everything up with about 50% effort. a few TI bolts here and there.

will I die soon? 
the levers move if you give them a good twist and there is no funny sounds coming from the bars

be reet I guess