Sam Pilgrim at radical bikes (entertaining)

Daviesdt

Been watching his vlogs for a while, they are pretty nifty on enduro bikes and alot of their vlogs are focused round this, this is the first 'real' trials vid I've seen from them but yeah, is funny. I'd have bricked it standing my bike up on some of those metal surfaces with them being that wet! Proper brave lads!

I thought that was largely going to be a piss-take. Really refreshing to see someone actually giving it a proper go and seemingly getting quite into it :)
Well impressed with how they managed. I dare say only a very few actual trials riders would fare much better than they did on those bikes, not to mention in the wet.

Really fun watch!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

I'm sure Sam is minted enough to pay for his own bike. That's what I don't get about young sponsor hunting riders. Don't aspire to be sponsored. Aspire to be able to make enough money to pay for your own parts.

Sometimes sponsorship makes you be able to pay for your own parts though. Nothing wrong with this. How did Danny start? Serious question. I dunno.

13 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

I'm sure Sam is minted enough to pay for his own bike. That's what I don't get about young sponsor hunting riders. Don't aspire to be sponsored. Aspire to be able to make enough money to pay for your own parts.

Sometimes sponsorship makes you be able to pay for your own parts though. Nothing wrong with this. How did Danny start? Serious question. I dunno.

By Danny Im assuming you mean MacAskill? 

He started like anyone of us did... by swinging a leg over a bike and giving it ago, got pretty good at it, reputation grows, big company sees potential = boom, sponsor. Not necessarily freebies I'd imagine, discounted perhaps.

I know Ali C seems to change his bikes often and sells them off for whatever they make on ebay/social media, so I cant imagine he's just drawing off Inspired to make a quick few quid while gaining a new bike in the process. 

(Sorry to pick you Ali, you were the first example I could think of. The vlogs are good stuff!) 

47 minutes ago, SamKidney said:

big company sees potential = boom, sponsor

Inspired weren't big back then (they aren't now in the scheme of things, not even realistically among trials companies I'd have thought - they don't have the same big external backers like some other companies do), that's kind of why Danny stuck with them when all the wheelbarrows of potential cash started arriving from all the big companies back when things went mental in 2009-10.

Most of the bikes Ali's got are just old ones he's had kicking around the flat for a while.  One or two have been old black proto frames that are quite old, so it's just a case of using them with some of the many random parts he's got lying around from his experiments.  While we lived together in Blackpool he pretty much always had random shit from CRC turning up to possibly experiment with, and having been up to stay with him he's turned parts of that flat into some kind of random-part-hoarding nightmare :P  Without putting words in his mouth and without knowing the full BTS stuff, I'd imagine that almost all of Ali's money comes from shows, whether that was from working with The Clan like he used to all the time a few years back to working with Drop & Roll now.  There really isn't much money in trials at all, let alone enough to give any rider a living just from a solely trials-related sponsor.

• Like 2

On 06/02/2017 at 7:47 PM, Mark W said:

Inspired weren't big back then (they aren't now in the scheme of things, not even realistically among trials companies I'd have thought - they don't have the same big external backers like some other companies do), that's kind of why Danny stuck with them when all the wheelbarrows of potential cash started arriving from all the big companies back when things went mental in 2009-10.

Most of the bikes Ali's got are just old ones he's had kicking around the flat for a while.  One or two have been old black proto frames that are quite old, so it's just a case of using them with some of the many random parts he's got lying around from his experiments.  While we lived together in Blackpool he pretty much always had random shit from CRC turning up to possibly experiment with, and having been up to stay with him he's turned parts of that flat into some kind of random-part-hoarding nightmare :P  Without putting words in his mouth and without knowing the full BTS stuff, I'd imagine that almost all of Ali's money comes from shows, whether that was from working with The Clan like he used to all the time a few years back to working with Drop & Roll now.  There really isn't much money in trials at all, let alone enough to give any rider a living just from a solely trials-related sponsor.

pretty much spot on, still getting random stuff to experiment with too!

I agree that sponsorship shouldn't be the aim...a lot of people see a sponsor as a one way ticket to bikes/money but the reality is much different. Getting out on the bike and having fun and pushing yourself is the main goal I think people should look for.....if you get good enough (like Danny) then you may find you get people lining up to give you things, but still remember that it IS a job and you're expected to work for your employer.

Sam Pilgrim was talking with Duncan about getting one of his old bikes but I guess he bit the bullet and got a new one, I very much doubt he'd have been given one though.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ali C said:

pretty much spot on, still getting random stuff to experiment with too!

I agree that sponsorship shouldn't be the aim...a lot of people see a sponsor as a one way ticket to bikes/money but the reality is much different. Getting out on the bike and having fun and pushing yourself is the main goal I think people should look for.....if you get good enough (like Danny) then you may find you get people lining up to give you things, but still remember that it IS a job and you're expected to work for your employer.

Sam Pilgrim was talking with Duncan about getting one of his old bikes but I guess he bit the bullet and got a new one, I very much doubt he'd have been given one though.

I think its more the Kudos/status people are after more than anything.

IMG_6038.PNG

Edited by Ross McArthur