Work and what to do next...

CurtisRider

Hello guys and girls,

Life/career advice required!

After finishing teaching in July last year, I moved back to my parents farm with the intention of going self employed. I spent my summer creating a rather splendid workspace to house all my equipment that I have built up over the years and to become my space to create in. Since then I have been gradually taking on the role of an arable farmer (my dad is slowly retiring) and sorting my workshop out further to ensure storage is ample and the layout is pleasant. Due to the nature of arable farming I also want to fill my free time with other work as the farm alone is not enough to live comfortably on as it's quite small. I love to design and make, I have a well equipped workshop and I'd like to combine these things to make me happy and also allow me to earn some extra money.

What I am struggling with most of all is being able to define what I do/can do, because I like to think myself as being rather multi talented and very able, this may sound cocky but I am able to apply myself to most things very well and create good outcomes. I don't want to limit myself to just one trade exclusively as I love variety and also challenges but I know this could also be my downfall as I could be seen as a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

A basic summary of my skill set and tooling/facilities includes:

Very able mechanic, including modifications and welding. I have restored a few cars including painting them.

Proficient fabricator, welding ability is improving massively recently and I have a well equipped metal workshop.

Competent carpenter, I am good at first and second fix, I am learning and enjoying furniture building processes more recently. I have a well equipped wood workshop.

CAD skills and a 3D printer, intention of building a large format CNC mill at some point this year.

Teaching ability is very good, I have 4 years of teaching experience in Design and Technology.

I recently completed my own full house refurbishment, of which the outcome was well received and apart from the boiler installation and rewire I did all the work myself, this included fitting a new bathroom and kitchen with some bespoke units.

So as you can see, all the gear and some idea. I like the idea of offering property maintenance as that gives some variety but I'm a little confused as to what I can offer when it comes to electrical and plumbing, as well as what courses I can take to ensure what I do is legal and can be insured. The issue with pursuing this is that I'm not available at some points of the year and this may have a negative impact on me and may make doing such courses not viable. The other option I considered is jumping on the Etsy/online selling bandwagon but without the ridiculous prices that people are asking, this allows me to get creative and do some bespoke work potentially but may also end up with me being stuck with lots of things that I can't sell...

What would you do in my position? What tips can you give? Especially interested to hear from people who have ventured into property maintenance and Etsy stuff or similar.

Thanks in advance!

Just make up a job Paul and stick to your guns, if you wanna produce 3d printed replica swords and paint them to match some film props (wild example there) just go for it and hold your nerve. A guy I used to work with left his job to build stage props for theatre and film, started off making enough to get by, then in a years time was sub contracted to build darleks for Dr Who. His job was so unnecessary, but it came up trumps for him!

I think people look at jobs wrong, if you offer a service, or can build something, even if it's so stupid it seems like it won't work, it will as there will be an audience out there for you to exploit. Whatever your idea there's always someone else thinking the same/similar. Nobody needs an iPad, nobody needs a TV, nobody needs a £5000 watch but there's always a demand and audience.

Just do what you enjoy and it'll fall into place. My jobs bullshit really but it's opened up loads of avenues for me to explore and enjoy. Just gotta point yourself in the right direction and bite the bullet.

Have you any ideas Paul?

Is there much market for agricultural machinery refurbishment? I've just started working for a company that primarily refurbs ag/construction equipment (albeit working on the CAD side of things) and we are pretty flat out with jobs coming in. We also do a fair amount of bespoke metal work for individuals and companies. I don't really know any exact figures, but it seems very lucrative for the numbers I've heard kicking around and you appear to have the full skill set to setup something similar!

Small jobbing fabricator is ideal, get friendly with a laser cutter and go from there. Grab yourself a TIG setup and broaden your horizons. With your CAD capacity you could also offer design work as well, consider architectural as well as mechanical.

If it doesn't work out then shift direction to something else :)

Some close family friends started their own business in metal work/fabrication and its really taken off. If you have the CAD know how, talented/equipped with the correct tooling and most importantly ENJOY that kind of work, you're onto a winner straight away really. 

Love Tom's idea. You can do a lot with the skills you have if you think laterally and combine them into a completely new thing.

My first thought after reading your post was motorsport accessories. Not the type where you have massive competition but things that drivers need but can't buy. Supposedly low volume but if you branch out internationally - quite the contrary. For example, 5 years ago the chap who built my rally car would frequently make a small mod to the bimmer shifter extending it around 15-20cm and reducing throw. The ergonomics of this were great but eventually the shifter would break or develop massive play. Fast forward 5 years and a small Lithuanian company called IRP has a long, short throw shifter for various cars. It's a whole assembly with cartridge bearings, reverse lock and it feels amazing. I think that was one of their first products - well priced and so successful, they've now branched out and are a well known brand. That's just an example but I wouldn't be surprised if there were voids in the market waiting to be filled in. You'll probably find answers by reading through forums.

On 2/5/2017 at 0:17 PM, Tom Booth said:

Just make up a job Paul and stick to your guns, if you wanna produce 3d printed replica swords and paint them to match some film props (wild example there) just go for it and hold your nerve. A guy I used to work with left his job to build stage props for theatre and film, started off making enough to get by, then in a years time was sub contracted to build darleks for Dr Who. His job was so unnecessary, but it came up trumps for him!

I think people look at jobs wrong, if you offer a service, or can build something, even if it's so stupid it seems like it won't work, it will as there will be an audience out there for you to exploit. Whatever your idea there's always someone else thinking the same/similar. Nobody needs an iPad, nobody needs a TV, nobody needs a £5000 watch but there's always a demand and audience.

Just do what you enjoy and it'll fall into place. My jobs bullshit really but it's opened up loads of avenues for me to explore and enjoy. Just gotta point yourself in the right direction and bite the bullet.

Have you any ideas Paul?

You make a very good point Tom, I'm fortunate that I have some basic income to keep me going so at least trying stuff out and just going for it won't make too big an impact if it doesn't work out. I do have a few ideas in my head for potential quirky places to stay to fit in with the glamping scene but I fear that market is already saturated however the potential to create my own site may be a possibility as we have some suitable land and therefore my ideas can come into fruition and I just have to hope people like them!

22 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

You could always advertise several different lines of work under different trading names, see which work out best.

I am going to advertise myself for property maintenance/handyman jobs as I know that will be relatively easy and that may open up some doors for me as I get to know local trademan.

17 hours ago, crashbanggg said:

Is there much market for agricultural machinery refurbishment? I've just started working for a company that primarily refurbs ag/construction equipment (albeit working on the CAD side of things) and we are pretty flat out with jobs coming in. We also do a fair amount of bespoke metal work for individuals and companies. I don't really know any exact figures, but it seems very lucrative for the numbers I've heard kicking around and you appear to have the full skill set to setup something similar!

I already do quite a lot of refurbishment, modifications and repairs on our own machines, there are several local companies who already offer that sort of service although they seem to charge rather well for it! So yes that is also a possibility and as you say I don't have to really invest anything into it.  I've upgraded our larger machines with screens and cameras with I think may be something that will interest other farmers as well as it being rather easy to do! Kits aimed at farmers are available but again they are overpriced.

14 hours ago, forteh said:

Small jobbing fabricator is ideal, get friendly with a laser cutter and go from there. Grab yourself a TIG setup and broaden your horizons. With your CAD capacity you could also offer design work as well, consider architectural as well as mechanical.

If it doesn't work out then shift direction to something else :)

I really do need to get a TIG welder, as well as learning how to weld aluminium and stainless as that will open up a few doors. I've made a few bespoke structural parts for houses and they were quite fun to work on as well as paying well.

13 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Some close family friends started their own business in metal work/fabrication and its really taken off. If you have the CAD know how, talented/equipped with the correct tooling and most importantly ENJOY that kind of work, you're onto a winner straight away really. 

What specifically do they do?

11 hours ago, Greetings said:

Love Tom's idea. You can do a lot with the skills you have if you think laterally and combine them into a completely new thing.

My first thought after reading your post was motorsport accessories. Not the type where you have massive competition but things that drivers need but can't buy. Supposedly low volume but if you branch out internationally - quite the contrary. For example, 5 years ago the chap who built my rally car would frequently make a small mod to the bimmer shifter extending it around 15-20cm and reducing throw. The ergonomics of this were great but eventually the shifter would break or develop massive play. Fast forward 5 years and a small Lithuanian company called IRP has a long, short throw shifter for various cars. It's a whole assembly with cartridge bearings, reverse lock and it feels amazing. I think that was one of their first products - well priced and so successful, they've now branched out and are a well known brand. That's just an example but I wouldn't be surprised if there were voids in the market waiting to be filled in. You'll probably find answers by reading through forums.

With my interest in transaxle Porsches I have a mountains of ideas for them and yet when suggested/when you show them to other owners, especially the 924 owners club I'm a member of you only ever seem to meet resistance. For instance I found a way to offer gearbox mounts for £40 instead of £90 for aftermarkets and yet nobody was interested even though all they ever did was moan about how expensive aftermarket ones were! They also weren't happy about me starting to use an Arduino to control some of the CIS system, weird. However maybe I should look past them, a guy in the states (Ideola) seems to be doing very well with his aftermarket parts. Doing the sorts of mods to cars that your friend did and the IRP chaps do would be great, I love that problem solving and finding various solutions to fit a customers needs.

Thanks for the positive and encouraging feedback guys, it really does mean a lot. For various reasons I have lost my confidence and my way a bit in recent years and I'm hoping by exploring the things I love doing and finding my niche that maybe I'll start to feel better about things. Lots of research to do now and food for thought!

If you have any ideas Paul just knock one up and get it on social media as fast as you can and as cheaply as you can. I don't mean in the sense of rush and put out something shit, just push yourself with a deadline to get something moving by April etc. If it's a 3d printed cup holder for a 924 or some sort of agricultural fitting that costs you pennies but could be a 20-30 quid item that fits in a jiffy bag. It might seem stupid but 10x£20 a week is a low, but basic wage, any side work you take on extra is all pocket money. That's how I look at it anyway. I paint cupboard doors for the kitchen show room next to my unit, to be honest I loathe doing them, but a kitchen a week and it's my rent and basic wage covered. The rest of the month I do the work I enjoy and don't have to get too stressed, it's up-to me to bring home more money but I know my basic wage/overheads are covered.

All my business has grown from social media. I took on my unit, got it something like I wanted using my savings then just threw pictures of what I do to the right audiences and it took off from there, I never thought it would be a living but with the avenues that have become available I'm set for 5/7 years atleast, my calenders booked up for the next year.

My dads self employed also, runs a motor factors. Hes very good at his job, he's business minded and has always got his head in the game. Recently his business has took abit of a knock, cost of stock has risen after brexit, not so many people having cars repaired or valeted. The only thing really carrying his place at the minute is the restoration side of things, the Ford fans and VW nuts. Not many people want to have the bumper scuff on there 63 reg 3 series repaired, but the same bloke thinks nothing of a 5k respray on his '65 split screen bus.

A friend of mine is a neon sign maker. He was originally an old fashioned sign writer but took a punt on neon, he's got contracts with Pizza Hut, Frankie and Benny's, Next and a few others. Again it's not a necessity but it's a good living for him. I placed an order with him last year and I've still got 8 months wait before he starts it.

Your in such a fortunate position to have your workshop and tooling ready to go. If your workshop is free to then your such a jammy b*****d. I've seen some of your creations on here and know your not a daft lad, quite the opposite, really push yourself to find a weird niche your enthusiastic about and work it hard. Be it Porsche parts or fab, motorbike repairs/building or furniture from old agricultural items. As I said before there's always a market for whatever you can dream up, just make sure you enjoy it and your good at it.