Indoor Skateparks and Disc Brakes

Adam_McGuire

My local indoor skatepark (Transition Extreme, Aberdeen), doesn't allow bikes with disc brakes in for health and safety reasons. Every other indoor skatepark though in Scotland seems to have no problem with them. 

I was wondering what the policy with local skateparks near you is, do they allow bikes with disc brakes in ? if they don't what reasons have they given you ? 

15 minutes ago, Adam_McGuire said:

My local indoor skatepark (Transition Extreme, Aberdeen), doesn't allow bikes with disc brakes in for health and safety reasons. Every other indoor skatepark though in Scotland seems to have no problem with them. 

I was wondering what the policy with local skateparks near you is, do they allow bikes with disc brakes in ? if they don't what reasons have they given you ? 

They might argue that you could cut yourself or others with the rotors.

33 minutes ago, vRS said:

Is transition any good for trials though? 

I went to a skatepark the other day and swapped bikes with a BMX rider. Made me want to get a BMX. It's so much fun even though I cannot ride it. It's kinda like broadening your horizon. Unfortunately, if you swap between bikes, you don't improve as fast. When I got back on my Inspired it felt weird.

Edited by niconj

18 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I remember them having issues when I went, so frustrating and unnecessary. I remember one excuse is they don't want the risk of oil on the wood if a hose breaks...like that's a massive issue.

Tell them that you run Trialtech fluid. :D

3 minutes ago, cwtrials said:

Doesn't seem to make any sense.

Although, they could just be trying to keep MTB's and trials riders out.  We tend to go against the normal flow.

They let MTB bikes in as long as they're single speed which I can see why. However if I rode brakeless theyd have no problem letting me in. 

1 hour ago, Adam_McGuire said:

They let MTB bikes in as long as they're single speed which I can see why. However if I rode brakeless theyd have no problem letting me in. 

Time to ride brakeless then. We don't even have an indoors skate park anywhere near. 

I imagine the disc rotor issue is probably a big one - that's the main stumbling block for them being introduced in the roadie world more.  The UCI were going back and forth with making them illegal for use in road races because of the 'risk' of a rider falling in the peloton and somehow being sawn to pieces by some disc rotors.  

In fairness to them they kind of do have a point in terms of rotors vs. pegs - I've fallen onto a BMX before and hit the peg and it wasn't really too bad, whereas I've seen photos of people who've just brushed their finger against a moving rotor and lost chunks of their finger.  I know it's super unlikely to happen and I don't agree with it (because realistically it's not like having a chainring is safe either if people are falling and sticking their fingers into things) but it's possible to see where they're coming from.

17 hours ago, Mark W said:

I imagine the disc rotor issue is probably a big one - that's the main stumbling block for them being introduced in the roadie world more.  The UCI were going back and forth with making them illegal for use in road races because of the 'risk' of a rider falling in the peloton and somehow being sawn to pieces by some disc rotors.  

In fairness to them they kind of do have a point in terms of rotors vs. pegs - I've fallen onto a BMX before and hit the peg and it wasn't really too bad, whereas I've seen photos of people who've just brushed their finger against a moving rotor and lost chunks of their finger.  I know it's super unlikely to happen and I don't agree with it (because realistically it's not like having a chainring is safe either if people are falling and sticking their fingers into things) but it's possible to see where they're coming from.

Yh, I get that there is a risk especially with younger kids or new riders that there is chance they could crash and potentially cut themselves on a rotor. hopefully if the UCI make discs legal then maybe the skatepark will :).