Quantity over quality?

jamesb

2 hours ago, AndyT said:

james b bids are a favorite because the riding is ridiculous, the filming is all it  needs to be- you can see what is happening... and they are real bangers that pop out of nowhere.

He said that a good video takes months. ;) I get what you're saying though. Can you give me the Kenny B video link so I really know what you mean?

5 hours ago, AndyT said:

No, but high priced cameras  don't make a good video..

watch ANY Red Bull video, they are so painful and they are showing people what a video should be like, super slowmo high res of dirt and tires, drone shots of a nice pier... barely viewable actual riding.

For my Kenny B video I borrowed a 7d and kit lens ($0), my gimbal was a $5 thrift store tripod with a shirt wrapped on the end for weight balancing and filmed it in one day with no planning- just drove around and filmed.. That video had $0 budget, and has combined over 400,000 views... because I know how trials riders should be shot. Red Bull came out with a Kenny B in San Francisco a week after my Los Angeles video- it couldn't get the hits even though it was filmed with $$$$$ and the  Red Bull machine promoting it.  Doesn't matter when you can't relate to the riding, and while you watch the video you get the feeling of being in an elevator instead of shredding a bad ass city.

I prefer to watch Danny mac on an echo with shit mini dv quality than some elaborate go to another country get cray shots plan for a long time, take time filming.. make sure big sponsor logos are seen..

one day is all you need for a good video, especially if the rider is capable.

I know you will disagree with me and that's fine..everyone has their beliefs. We are being bombarded by total SHIT constantly, if you watch television you're already used to it.... disposable world.

james b bids are a favorite because the riding is ridiculous, the filming is all it  needs to be- you can see what is happening... and they are real bangers that pop out of nowhere. 

#rideyourbike #biketrials #balanceonbicycle #redbull #inspiredrider #goarcadetheway #drinkpoison #4k #5k #virtualreality #happy #funtimes #streettrials #twentyfourinchrules #ttiplrhopehips #footplantwhips #sidehop #bunnyhop #didiforgetanything #magura #hope #hopeigetfamous

You forgot #getthegrip and #lifebehindbars.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2017 at 3:42 AM, aener said:

I sadly understand what you're saying about feeling the actually-non-existent-pressure to outdo yourself, and I appreciate this may be you being candid but the sentence I've quoted just really upsets me.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from completely. The reason I brought up views honestly is a bit of an ego thing. Yeah, I'm guilty. But it's not my main focus. You don't see me using click-bait titles - ever - or using pop music and editing. I never want to sell-out. I put out videos that I like, knowing that others won't like them.

Ideally I'd be making a living riding my bike. For now it has just been art. I like to be creative and do things I haven't seen before and put them out there in a video. But, I'm at an age now where if I'm ever going to make any money from this, it's got to happen now. Why not try? If I didn't need to work 40 hour weeks as a mechanic and I could ride all the time, shit, that would be awesome! Doing this without selling out or becoming a view-hound is the tricky part. Damn near impossible.

Edited by jamesb
  • Like 5

I wonder how many riders would do the more dangerous lines in their videos whether there was a camera there or not? I know when I'm not filming or with someone I usually ride pretty chill, just for the pure joy of rolling around. Same with most of the pro bmx riders I've ridden with. More riders/a camera leads to a more gnarly session.

I don't think anyone makes a riding video without having an intention to share it with someone and see their reaction (maybe you're the exception Flipp, love your vids btw). They certainly wouldn't be posted online if they were private. Other types of art (painting or poetry for example) can be much more personal and may never be released.

Boy I want to ride now. All this talk of art is giving me ideas.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jamesb said:

I wonder how many riders would do the more dangerous lines in their videos whether there was a camera there or not?

I was just thinking that the other day. I think people would try to improve their results at bunny hopping or whatnot, things that aren't dangerous. Doing really high drops, I dunno. Would Duncan have done this without the camera rolling? Maybe not the best example but he didn't seem too confident on this one.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-18 um 22.41.15.png

haha! Yeah, I'm not optimistic. This thread has enlightened me a little bit (thanks to Flipp). Weeding out external pressures and filming only what I like to ride seems like the way to go.

http://nsmb.com/5240-ryan-leech-and-the-cons-of-being-pro/ - Leech on risk and expectations.

Also read an interview with Brett Rheeder, can't find it now, but he talks about feeling pressure to do cork 7s and flip dub whips all the time, even though he'd prefer to just flow.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 10:02 PM, niconj said:

He said that a good video takes months. ;) I get what you're saying though. Can you give me the Kenny B video link so I really know what you mean?

Now if someone was to give me all the fancy things I would love to have them, but third rate riding and "idea" to make a video + super hi quality everything is exactly like seeing a guy with a $500 kit + $10,000 carbon bike go slow as f**k up a hill.  Totally lame.

I'm old school, my soul is stuck in the right click save as and wait 3 hours to watch a movie world. Clicks mean nothing, everyone should just make what they like and listen to their heart...james b and flipp both have soulfull vids...and where the hell are the new clean videos? I miss Mark W editing!!

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 6.57.02 PM.jpg

• Like 2

Hi to everyone,

I want to apologize for my english and want to tell my opinion.

I know that i'm too young and new on the Trials World, i'm only riding since 2011, but i think i have a clear vision about Trials world and pro radicals sports world.

I want to talk mostly about Street Trials just because it's the world that i know most and the one that i really enjoy. I begin my journey on this sports in pure trials, then i ride for like 2 years trials and bmx at the same time and now i'm on street trials, so i always watch a lot of bmx videos and news about that world and something that i always notice is that bmx riders (i know that it's a really big sport in comparison to trials) are always sending a lot of content to the world, there a lot of brands giving support to new riders, a lot of competitions showing the improvement of the sport and showing to the world what is bmx, a lot of sites always telling all the news about the sport. And i know that bmx it's such a big sport for that reasons, this kind of things it's what makes the sports bigger.

I think this is what is missing in Street Trials World because i really think that street trials have the potential of being a kind of big sport because it mix a lot of control with a lot of crazy tricks and imagination. I think we need more content, more brands supporting riders, some site with all the news about the sport and some kind of competition to improve the sport and to show the sport to the world.

About the competition, i know that probably a lot of you will tell that it's not about the competitions and just ride for the fun, but i think that we all can ride for the fun, all together in an event, improving the sport and showing the sport to the world, just to make it bigger and give the capacities to more riders live from this.

This is my opnion. I would like to know what you guys think about this?  

@jamesb you have ride a lot of bmx, what do you think?

@Mark W and you Mark, do you also have worked with a lot of bmx riders.

Unfortunately trials competitions, including street-trials comps, are nowhere near as thrilling as BMX comps. Watching Drew Bezanson in real life actually makes you question everything you think you know about how tough humans are and what they are capable of. It's crazy! It's almost hard to watch. I saw him shoulder/head butt the ground from 25ft, get up, and do it again properly (missed the bar out but he'd already won at that point and the crowd was going mental so he just left it as an ice-pick). It's a party.

I think the fact that street trials looks so slow and controlled in comparison will always keep it underground compared to bmx. It's more of a thinkers sport, where BMX is more about the thrill and culture.

Where street-trials shines, is the video part. Demos and video parts, in my opinion, are what will push the sport further. Not competitions. UCI trials is as small as ever, and they have a world cup circuit. Have you ever met a mountain biker that hasn't seen a Danny Mac vid? I got my start after seeing Leech at a demo.

Trials comps could be more like flatland-bmx comps. A small crowd of spectators, but very knowledgable.

@jamesb Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i see, and you are right, BMX is much more thrilling, and when i use to go and watch bmx comps here in Portugal i saw the huge party and exciting that is, but don't know sometimes i think that would be nice to have like events that push more for the sport and have and audience to share it. But yeah maybe it would be more like flatland-bmx comps.

About UCI trials, i really enjoy to see them but i think that street trials would be more exciting.

And you are right about the video parts and demos, here in Portugal where we are like on 50 riders in all country i know that we have a good market for demos and i'm trying to explore it. 

i think it would be nice to have like an event that get together almost every rider from street trials and just smash it all. 

I don't know if demos will really make as much of a difference in the future - the majority of people will be getting their first interaction with trials through videos now, rather than needing a demo.  It also seems like, putting it politely, the quality of demos can be somewhat variable.  It's anecdotal as f**k obviously, but I've never had someone speak to me about buying a bike because they've seen a demo, but I've spoken to countless people who've seen videos and wanted to get into it that way (which also includes 13-year-old me).

For pushing streety stuff, from personal experience at a few jams/events in the UK they do go some way to raising the bar.  At the Street Light Sessions people were sending shit, people were at Section 01 and again at the Phoenix London jam too.  Those events also build the community and culture of it too, and compared to BMX those are two majorly lacking aspects of trials in general.

Seeing the top guys in the street scene sending it is pretty 'thrilling' too in fairness.  I agree that seeing people going full-bore at places like Simple Session (or other events like the Backyard Jams which were always f**king awesome when I went to them) is amazing, but seeing people like Danny casually doing massive stuff and coming up with new lines/moves is still up there too.  It's also worth bearing in mind that street trials has only really started blowing up more over the past 10 years or so, whereas BMX has a significant head start on that.  I'm not sure trials will ever reach quite the level of progression that BMX has, but you never know.

With a lot of progression in BMX street coming down to clunky grind combos as well I think the gap between the two of them is closing a touch at least.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

I don't know if demos will really make as much of a difference in the future - the majority of people will be getting their first interaction with trials through videos now, rather than needing a demo.  It also seems like, putting it politely, the quality of demos can be somewhat variable.  It's anecdotal as f**k obviously, but I've never had someone speak to me about buying a bike because they've seen a demo, but I've spoken to countless people who've seen videos and wanted to get into it that way (which also includes 13-year-old me).

It seems back in the day demos had a greater influence, a few of the Canadian guys I have talked to started riding after seeing Ryan Leech. I've helped a few kids who have seen my shows find a used rig, but just a few.

Demos as business is completely different than most people can imagine. If you don't enjoy the business / entrepreneural side of things it could kill your love of riding quick.

@Mark W I agree with you! I think, at least here in Portugal, demos are still a good way to show the sport and try to get new trials riders.

But for the rest of the world i think like an event/jam would really push the trials to other levels. And yeah the BMX is much more older than street trials but if the street trials begin to have the right steps i think it could be a big sport and with space for more pro riders.

One more time, sorry for my English.