Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamesb

Quantity over quality?

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, AndyT said:

james b bids are a favorite because the riding is ridiculous, the filming is all it  needs to be- you can see what is happening... and they are real bangers that pop out of nowhere.

He said that a good video takes months. ;) I get what you're saying though. Can you give me the Kenny B video link so I really know what you mean?

5 hours ago, AndyT said:

No, but high priced cameras  don't make a good video..

watch ANY Red Bull video, they are so painful and they are showing people what a video should be like, super slowmo high res of dirt and tires, drone shots of a nice pier... barely viewable actual riding.

For my Kenny B video I borrowed a 7d and kit lens ($0), my gimbal was a $5 thrift store tripod with a shirt wrapped on the end for weight balancing and filmed it in one day with no planning- just drove around and filmed.. That video had $0 budget, and has combined over 400,000 views... because I know how trials riders should be shot. Red Bull came out with a Kenny B in San Francisco a week after my Los Angeles video- it couldn't get the hits even though it was filmed with $$$$$ and the  Red Bull machine promoting it.  Doesn't matter when you can't relate to the riding, and while you watch the video you get the feeling of being in an elevator instead of shredding a bad ass city.

I prefer to watch Danny mac on an echo with shit mini dv quality than some elaborate go to another country get cray shots plan for a long time, take time filming.. make sure big sponsor logos are seen..

one day is all you need for a good video, especially if the rider is capable.

I know you will disagree with me and that's fine..everyone has their beliefs. We are being bombarded by total SHIT constantly, if you watch television you're already used to it.... disposable world.

james b bids are a favorite because the riding is ridiculous, the filming is all it  needs to be- you can see what is happening... and they are real bangers that pop out of nowhere. 

#rideyourbike #biketrials #balanceonbicycle #redbull #inspiredrider #goarcadetheway #drinkpoison #4k #5k #virtualreality #happy #funtimes #streettrials #twentyfourinchrules #ttiplrhopehips #footplantwhips #sidehop #bunnyhop #didiforgetanything #magura #hope #hopeigetfamous

You forgot #getthegrip and #lifebehindbars.

3 people like this

11 hours ago, Mark W said:
As an example, your videos stand out from most others on here stylistically in terms of filming/editing, but then I've seen a couple of videos from people who admire you that clearly take a lot of hues...

2 people like this

On 2/16/2017 at 3:42 AM, aener said:

I sadly understand what you're saying about feeling the actually-non-existent-pressure to outdo yourself, and I appreciate this may be you being candid but the sentence I've quoted just really upsets me.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from completely. The reason I brought up views honestly is a bit of an ego thing. Yeah, I'm guilty. But it's not my main focus. You don't see me using click-bait titles - ever - or using pop music and editing. I never want to sell-out. I put out videos that I like, knowing that others won't like them.

Ideally I'd be making a living riding my bike. For now it has just been art. I like to be creative and do things I haven't seen before and put them out there in a video. But, I'm at an age now where if I'm ever going to make any money from this, it's got to happen now. Why not try? If I didn't need to work 40 hour weeks as a mechanic and I could ride all the time, shit, that would be awesome! Doing this without selling out or becoming a view-hound is the tricky part. Damn near impossible.

Edited by jamesb
5 people like this

I wonder how many riders would do the more dangerous lines in their videos whether there was a camera there or not? I know when I'm not filming or with someone I usually ride pretty chill, just for the pure joy of rolling around. Same with most of the pro bmx riders I've ridden with. More riders/a camera leads to a more gnarly session.

I don't think anyone makes a riding video without having an intention to share it with someone and see their reaction (maybe you're the exception Flipp, love your vids btw). They certainly wouldn't be posted online if they were private. Other types of art (painting or poetry for example) can be much more personal and may never be released.

Boy I want to ride now. All this talk of art is giving me ideas.

2 people like this

42 minutes ago, jamesb said:

I wonder how many riders would do the more dangerous lines in their videos whether there was a camera there or not?

I was just thinking that the other day. I think people would try to improve their results at bunny hopping or whatnot, things that aren't dangerous. Doing really high drops, I dunno. Would Duncan have done this without the camera rolling? Maybe not the best example but he didn't seem too confident on this one.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-18 um 22.41.15.png

That was all for the camera. Bigging the line up like it was massive or something... He could probably hop manual it - up the way.

1 person likes this

@jamesb move to the U.K. It's the only place you can make a living as a trials rider!! North America = travel 300 days a year doing demos at bicycle shops across the country... and you need a time machine to the 90s and you need to beat Jeff lenosky to the punch.

2 people like this

haha! Yeah, I'm not optimistic. This thread has enlightened me a little bit (thanks to Flipp). Weeding out external pressures and filming only what I like to ride seems like the way to go.

http://nsmb.com/5240-ryan-leech-and-the-cons-of-being-pro/ - Leech on risk and expectations.

Also read an interview with Brett Rheeder, can't find it now, but he talks about feeling pressure to do cork 7s and flip dub whips all the time, even though he'd prefer to just flow.

1 person likes this

On 2/16/2017 at 10:02 PM, niconj said:

He said that a good video takes months. ;) I get what you're saying though. Can you give me the Kenny B video link so I really know what you mean?

Now if someone was to give me all the fancy things I would love to have them, but third rate riding and "idea" to make a video + super hi quality everything is exactly like seeing a guy with a $500 kit + $10,000 carbon bike go slow as f**k up a hill.  Totally lame.

I'm old school, my soul is stuck in the right click save as and wait 3 hours to watch a movie world. Clicks mean nothing, everyone should just make what they like and listen to their heart...james b and flipp both have soulfull vids...and where the hell are the new clean videos? I miss Mark W editing!!

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 6.57.02 PM.jpg

1 person likes this

I could never guess what Kenny was riding in that video?

Is it not something Gt knocked up for him?

It's an old Ozonys.  He was riding the Curve around that time too from memory.  Resprayed King of Dunce frame or something?

bicicleta-ozonys-kingofdunce-22.jpg

1 person likes this

farage.jpg

1 person likes this

XwcioA2.jpg

1 person likes this