Quantity over quality?

jamesb

Don't worry about it dude, your English is really good!  You write it better than a lot of native English speakers :)  Your spoken English is good too.

It seems like BMX street is almost plateauing in some ways now.  A lot of the riders known for doing big moves have said they're trying to cool it down now (e.g. Dan Lacey), and a lot of other riders have switched to just doing different combos or simply just doing the same stuff but either switch, opposite, or switch opposite.  That or throwing a freecoaster on, ruining their styles completely and doing some grim looking half cabs out of average looking fakie lines.

• Like 2

I don't think enough people in street trials are going big anymore, it's all gone tech. Not a bad thing skill-wise, but they're not mutually exclusive either. I think the footjam whip is the new go-to, yeah, that bmx flatland trick from 30+ years ago. If you go to France you can see a double, or even a triple!

• Like 2

Probably because a lot of newer riders don't have the trialsy/tech foundation that a lot of the 'big name' riders have?  Same way that you can go on Instagram and see countless videos of people being able to G-turn better than Ali, but then when they're back hopping look like they've never been on a bike before.  It seems being able to absolutely pin bunnyhops up to front is the new G-turn too.  See videos of people having perfect technique pinning it to front, but as soon as they switch to rear it's carnage.

While people like Ben Travis and Ali are still putting out videos I'm not too fussed, but the next generation might be lacking some of that type of riding.

That said, we're still nowhere near what it used to be like when guys like Rowan were putting out mega tech long old lines on whatever interesting setups they found.  At least those guys seemed to seek out interesting spots and use them in a creative way.  The token creativity thing going on with street trials now is less than ideal.  Watching videos where people are trying to shoehorn random moves into a 'line', but not really having any idea of how to create a line in a way that it'll be good for a video - not great.

Back in my day all this were fields, etc. etc.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mark W said:

Probably because a lot of newer riders don't have the trialsy/tech foundation that a lot of the 'big name' riders have?  Same way that you can go on Instagram and see countless videos of people being able to G-turn better than Ali, but then when they're back hopping look like they've never been on a bike before.  It seems being able to absolutely pin bunnyhops up to front is the new G-turn too.  See videos of people having perfect technique pinning it to front, but as soon as they switch to rear it's carnage.

While people like Ben Travis and Ali are still putting out videos I'm not too fussed, but the next generation might be lacking some of that type of riding.

That said, we're still nowhere near what it used to be like when guys like Rowan were putting out mega tech long old lines on whatever interesting setups they found.  At least those guys seemed to seek out interesting spots and use them in a creative way.  The token creativity thing going on with street trials now is less than ideal.  Watching videos where people are trying to shoehorn random moves into a 'line', but not really having any idea of how to create a line in a way that it'll be good for a video - not great.

Back in my day all this were fields, etc. etc.

Thank god um not the only one who's noticed these things!