Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 24" Tire???

cwtrials

I will be building up a 24 inch pure bike, and begin the process of finding a tire. The old maxxis is getting hard to find and then someone on the USA forum pointed this out: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 24" Tire. Apparently it is maxxis answer to the growing youth dh scene and just a miniature minion DHF. It is currently in production and could be an answer to the woe of 24" pure bikes.

But.... Has anyone tried one?

• Like 4

Not exactly on topic, but I recently got my hands on two 24" Schwalbe Fat Alberts, and they are incredible! I don't know about where you live, but even in Europe they are very difficult to hunt down. Totally worth it though, I must say. Quite lightweight and very grippy, but not too durable I guess due to the rather soft compound. I certainly prefer these over Minions

7 hours ago, Bottleneck said:

Not exactly on topic, but I recently got my hands on two 24" Schwalbe Fat Alberts, and they are incredible! I don't know about where you live, but even in Europe they are very difficult to hunt down. Totally worth it though, I must say. Quite lightweight and very grippy, but not too durable I guess due to the rather soft compound. I certainly prefer these over Minions

I rode the fat Albert a few years back, last time I tried 24". It had a nice feel, but was really lacking in pinch protection compared to the maxxis or some 26" options.. I think a smoother / lighter rider could enjoy it. Not as bad as some of the new lightweight 26" trials tires.

Edited by cwtrials

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DeersSlayer said:

Looking forward to your tire review, get-a-bike! ;-)

Did you get it mail order in the USA? Where? I'm in Canada near the border...

Yes. I got it from Universal Cycles.  It was a bit more difficult to find than most tires, but I found a couple places, including an ebay reseller.

Should have a bike going by the end of the month at latest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I got a 24" bike built up earlier this week and have had two fairly long rides on this tire.  Still getting used to 24" and a rear disc, and have only ridden urban on it.

The tire is legit.  I've been running about 21-22 PSI and haven't got a flat yet.  I've been running similar PSI on my der Kaiser and been finishing every ride for almost a month with a flat. (Yes, I ride like a sack of bricks).  The Maxxis is really grippy, I rode in the rain yesterday with no complaints.  Doesn't seem to have quite as nice of a feel as the Conti, but I'm going to drop the PSI another lb or two next ride and maybe it'll have more life.  I haven't ridden natty on it, but it is really stable and grippy, so I can't imagine it would be bad.

But for 24" bikes, I really think this is a great option. A bit heavier than some people are looking for, but for a reliable, flat resistant, grippy tire, there really isn't anything else for 24" bikes.  For 24" pure lovers, this really is a godsend.

I had to trim the side knobs to fit in my because frame.

Edited by cwtrials
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DeersSlayer said:

On what 24" bike do you have this tire?

It's a because color 24".  I just realized I don't actually have a picture of the bike WITH the tire in it.

21 hours ago, Felix_HBtrials said:

Nice!

Is this compound similar to the ST ( super tacky 42A ) or it's really juste a 3C (triple compound, 60A on roll band and softer on sides) ?

So the 3C compound comes in a few different flavors, this being the softest one available.  I'm not sure if it's 42a all the way across, but it seems super sticky.  They have meters to measure durometer right?  Might take someone with one of those gadgets to figure it out.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, Mark W said:

We just threw one on this bike:

large_radixcustom2.jpg

I gave it a check with our durometer tester and it appears to be Super Tacky compound across the full width of the tread with the sidewall casing/carcass seemingly being harder. 

That's a pretty looking bike!

Good to hear about the durometer. :)