Echo TR rim brake for newbie?

DeersSlayer

I'm thinking of buying an Echo Trial MK5 24" that comes with an Echo TR rim brake on the rear. Is the newer TR rim brake good enough for a ham fisted newbie?

I'm keeping my Flow Plus 24, but would also like to try some 'natural' riding. As a newbie I'm leaning towards the Echo Trial 24, but haven't ruled out the Echo Pure 26. For either choice, should I get a rear rim grind? 24 vs 26, comments?

Yeah it'll be fine if it's bled right. Blob of loctite on the adjuster screw to stop it loosening under use, I've had 3 of these levers and done it to all of them. Pad wise, I used heatsink yellows on my echo 24, upto user preference. Those, TNN ADM's or cousts work pretty well with a nice sharp grind on an echo tr rim, assuming that's what it has on. Deffo grind the rim if you are riding in anything other than warm perfect conditions

• Like 1

Yeah, grind the rear rim.  I have an echo mk 4 with the TR rim brake but on a smooth rim, most of my riding was last year was during summer months so was fine but started getting a bit wet, looped out a few times and the echo has been sat in the garage since.  I need to grind it but have been a bit lazy as i have an element 24 too so been using that while its wet.

If you are getting the echo but plan on doing natural trials you might want to think about tyre choice, my echo came with holy rollers which are great for street type stuff with sharp edges, find they dont grip so great on logs and rocks etc.

The echo is a good bike bike the way, seriously light and geometry that allows back wheel stuff to become very easy.  I find the stem length on mine a bit long to do front to back wheel swaps on though so on the look out for a new shorter and steeper stem to go with my old creaky stiff back but hey, thats getting old for you.

I cant comment on the echo pure, never had a go of one.

as for 26 versus 24, not sure really.  Had a go of a 26 pure trials and opted for the 24 as felt a bit more agile, bit easier to stand up but didnt want a mod as they look a bit weird in my opinion.  The 24 inch gets around just fine for what i want to do with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

If you are getting the echo but plan on doing natural trials you might want to think about tyre choice, my echo came with holy rollers which are great for street type stuff with sharp edges, find they dont grip so great on logs and rocks etc.

The echo is a good bike bike the way, seriously light and geometry that allows back wheel stuff to become very easy.  I find the stem length on mine a bit long to do front to back wheel swaps on though so on the look out for a new shorter and steeper stem to go with my old creaky stiff back but hey, thats getting old for you.

as for 26 versus 24, not sure really.  Had a go of a 26 pure trials and opted for the 24 as felt a bit more agile, bit easier to stand up but didnt want a mod as they look a bit weird in my opinion.  The 24 inch gets around just fine for what i want to do with it.

Thanks for the detailed info (I would definitely go for the rim grind!)

For the 24 my reasons are that I'm a newbie, so agile may be better. But I do want it for riding logs and rocks (and the dirt in between.) Tire choices are much, much better for that in the 26 size. Also, I do a lot of single track trail riding on a 27.5 mountain bike...

So now I'm leaning towards the Echo 26 Pure. Anyone here on the forum have/had one? Like it?

• 2 months later...