Best way to apply violin rosin to rim?

Herbertlemon102

I've just been rubbing it on dry, it scrapes and cracks but seems to work- when i heated it it didn't stay melted long enough to be applied properly, but I'm aware i may be doing something wrong. Like i said, it seems to work but it feels like I'm doing it wrong. Cheers

Edited by Herbertlemon102

If it "seems to work" it's not working. Resin is infinitely better than tar, the brake should feel like a fresh grind just with waaaay more bite and hold and none of the rough "texture" of tar. It will remain that way even with a soaking wet rim.

Melt the resin into a jar cap, dip a rag generously in nitro thinner and rub it into the resin, then onto rotating wheel. Seems like a kerfuffle but it's worth it. Lasts a few hours, only takes a few minutes to reapply.

You might also want to start off with a clean rim so get it wet, drag the brake, wash off and repeat a few times until no dirt is accumulating on the surface. Apply the resin to a dry rim. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greetings said:

If it "seems to work" it's not working. Resin is infinitely better than tar, the brake should feel like a fresh grind just with waaaay more bite and hold and none of the rough "texture" of tar. It will remain that way even with a soaking wet rim.

Melt the resin into a jar cap, dip a rag generously in nitro thinner and rub it into the resin, then onto rotating wheel. Seems like a kerfuffle but it's worth it. Lasts a few hours, only takes a few minutes to reapply.

You might also want to start off with a clean rim so get it wet, drag the brake, wash off and repeat a few times until no dirt is accumulating on the surface. Apply the resin to a dry rim. 

Dip the cloth in it while its still melted? Because it hardens almost instantly unless it's constantly heated

Edited by Herbertlemon102

2 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

Dip the cloth in it while its still melted? Because it hardens almost instantly unless it's constantly heated

No, wait for it to set. The thinner will dissolve the resin. The jar cap is just there to make rubbing the rag in easier.

• Like 1