Riding with Glasses

cwtrials

Over the last few years my eyesight has gone downhill.  It's not wretched, but with astigmatism it impacts my entire range of sight.  When riding MTB I have to wear them, otherwise I cant see the trail super well ahead of me and have trouble picking a line fast enough.  On the ole' pogo stick I'm not moving as fast, so I can get away without them in the daytime, but after dusk all the corners get super blurry so I have to wear them.  (I ride a lot in the evening).  They kinda drive me crazy though.  Keeping them clean / sweat free when hot out seems impossible.

Anybody else wear glasses when riding?  Or would you rather have some blurry vision and not deal with them?

-CW

1 minute ago, cwtrials said:

Anybody else wear glasses when riding?  Or would you rather have some blurry vision and not deal with them?

i take mine off. In trials you look down a lot or your head is down and you're looking up, so they're just an inconvenience. I've also had them fly off on me a couple times :P just my experience though.

I'm super short sighted and need glasses to drive legally but I hate wearing them for riding, I can't stand the movement and warped peripheral vision. It means I don't ride at night as my depth perception goes out the window and I struggle when things get faster but so far I've just dealt with it...would be interesting to know what it would be like to ride and be able to see every detail though.  

• Like 1

I wear mine, I just made sure they fit pretty tightly and it's Kinder f**king Bueno.

I had contact lenses for about 5 minutes and the ability to actually see properly was amazing, and I can see that trying to get used to them would be the way to go for riding at least.

14 minutes ago, Mark W said:

I wear mine, I just made sure they fit pretty tightly and it's Kinder f**king Bueno.

I had contact lenses for about 5 minutes and the ability to actually see properly was amazing, and I can see that trying to get used to them would be the way to go for riding at least.

I've thought about Contacts just for that reason.  (Maybe LASIK someday).  I'll have to look into the contacts idea again.  The idea of touching my eye really weirds me out, suppose I can get used to it.

21 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I'm super short sighted and need glasses to drive legally but I hate wearing them for riding, I can't stand the movement and warped peripheral vision. It means I don't ride at night as my depth perception goes out the window and I struggle when things get faster but so far I've just dealt with it...would be interesting to know what it would be like to ride and be able to see every detail though.  

This year I'm doing a lot of shows after dusk.  Even with proper lighting, I'm going to have to wear my glasses. (also having to buy lights this year :( )  My eyesight isn't soo bad the warped vision is too difficult to get used to, although I imagine it could really throw things off for someone with bad vision.

I have really enjoyed wearing them a few times on natty.  Being able to see all the little variations in the surface is super neat.  They still drive me crazy getting sweaty and smeared up.

On 3/27/2017 at 5:30 PM, cwtrials said:

I've thought about Contacts just for that reason.  (Maybe LASIK someday).  I'll have to look into the contacts idea again.  The idea of touching my eye really weirds me out, suppose I can get used to it.

This year I'm doing a lot of shows after dusk.  Even with proper lighting, I'm going to have to wear my glasses. (also having to buy lights this year :( )  My eyesight isn't soo bad the warped vision is too difficult to get used to, although I imagine it could really throw things off for someone with bad vision.

I have really enjoyed wearing them a few times on natty.  Being able to see all the little variations in the surface is super neat.  They still drive me crazy getting sweaty and smeared up.

Contacts is the way if you can get used to them.