Getting past the "wall"

Julius Czar

Alright guys.

Was out riding some pallets the other day, and I was sidehopping 6 pallets with no bother. Thought I'd go for a 7th pallet, which is then above my bar height. I get on the back wheel, and for the life of me I can't even bring myself to attempt it, I just freeze up.

I know there's no textbook answer for getting over it as such, but for as long as I can remember I've always had trouble going above bar height on sidehops. 

Any advice on getting past this? Or any tips from personal experience? Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bikeperson45 said:

I had this problem for a long time, what it came down to was taking a few steps back for a minute, taking some deep breaths and then just getting over it.

And genuinely, taking a break from a trick and going and even doing a sidehop somewhere else usually helps.

I've found this helps, normally when I first try it I just go for it without thinking about it, but as soon as I carry on trying I just stop. I guess I'll have to keep at it and I'll get there eventually. It's annoying because I feel like I've been stuck at this point forever! 

Adding another pallet is a pretty sizeable jump in height, and if you've got something like it being above barheight to mess with your head that won't be helping.  If you've got any other random bits of wood around you could always try putting them under the top pallet to help boost the height up a little, and build up to it like that?  Most pallets are around 6-7" deep, so if you can make a little stepping stone between the two that'll help.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

Adding another pallet is a pretty sizeable jump in height, and if you've got something like it being above barheight to mess with your head that won't be helping.  If you've got any other random bits of wood around you could always try putting them under the top pallet to help boost the height up a little, and build up to it like that?  Most pallets are around 6-7" deep, so if you can make a little stepping stone between the two that'll help.

This ...

Also, I'm the same with the 6-7 pallet scenario and I know a few others who top out also.

Seems to be going above bar is quite a mental barrier.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2017 at 1:34 PM, ItsMatt said:

do you do it the ugly euro way? like a sideways up to front, or straight up to two?

I go straight up to two wheels, I used Togo to front but when I started kicking to get up higher I naturally went to two wheels.

On 18/04/2017 at 1:47 PM, Mark W said:

I did have a go at this and it worked for a while, then the stacks of wood started slipping out from underneath me. Might have to get the drill out! 

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm in the same boat.  Not even jumping up a pallet, but just going to something an inch higher and my body just doesn't want to commit, right around bar height.  Ironically the higher you go the more commitment it takes.  Normally my highest sidehops are on days when I'm feeling good, and just happen to roll up next to something without taking the time to compare the height to my bars and just go for it.  Over-thinking never helps.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cwtrials said:

I'm in the same boat.  Not even jumping up a pallet, but just going to something an inch higher and my body just doesn't want to commit, right around bar height.  Ironically the higher you go the more commitment it takes.  Normally my highest sidehops are on days when I'm feeling good, and just happen to roll up next to something without taking the time to compare the height to my bars and just go for it.  Over-thinking never helps.

Or when you watch your video on 6 pallets and you are one pallet above it at the highest point. Then you put another pallet on top and don't even jump high enough to get onto six.

The funny thing is that you cannot even really hurt yourself but are afraid of doing so.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 2