Mere Wiggles - James Barton

jamesb

This is probably going to sound like I'm being a dick, but I honestly mean it in a good way. If you read it and think I'm insulting you, it's just because I'm not eloquent enough to put words to my thoughts adequately.

Almost all of your previous videos have had cool aspects, but I largely found the riding to feel quite 'forced' - like you were sort of doing things because other people do or precisely because they don't in order to provoke a reaction/response - and that feeling prevented me from fully getting behind them.
This time, as a video it didn't really click for me, but the riding felt really authentic, and like you're actually just doing your own thing that comes naturally to you. I really, really appreciate that. 

(Not to mention its being utterly bonkers.)

Personal favourites would be the skid into the pole and nose hops down the steps, and the up-to-rear-to-front-down-to-rear on the concrete barrier. (Though there's a bunch of others I'm really, really into too.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

So much good shit in this. cba typing it aaaaall out.

1 question. Do you run those low rise bars as a preference or for some other reason? 

They aren't that low are they? I run them because my damaged wrists need more sweep than the arcade bar has, specifically with rigid forks. The trial-tech high riser is perfect when run tipped back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aener said:

This is probably going to sound like I'm being a dick, but I honestly mean it in a good way. If you read it and think I'm insulting you, it's just because I'm not eloquent enough to put words to my thoughts adequately.

Almost all of your previous videos have had cool aspects, but I largely found the riding to feel quite 'forced' - like you were sort of doing things because other people do or precisely because they don't in order to provoke a reaction/response - and that feeling prevented me from fully getting behind them.
This time, as a video it didn't really click for me, but the riding felt really authentic, and like you're actually just doing your own thing that comes naturally to you. I really, really appreciate that. 

(Not to mention its being utterly bonkers.)

Personal favourites would be the skid into the pole and nose hops down the steps, and the up-to-rear-to-front-down-to-rear on the concrete barrier. (Though there's a bunch of others I'm really, really into too.)

I get what you mean. I do have standards with my riding that I expect to live up to. Generally, if I've seen it done a bunch before or if it doesn't look cool/different in some way then I don't film it. I only film the lines I think will be interesting, the ones I'd like to watch in a video. That does limit what I film, but not in a bad way I think. Nobody wants to watch me doing the same gap or sidehop over and over, myself included. I even do jam whip variations for an hour straight sometimes.

For this video, you can see that there are no dangerous lines. I've decided that my motivation for doing those wasn't right. I stuck to what was fun (even if some lines took 45min to land). By the end of the filming process I was just filming what I ran into, I wasn't hunting for locations to do specific tricks. This is probably what you sensed. 

• Like 7

On 4/25/2017 at 3:12 AM, AndyT said:

I love your edits but this was just enjoyable.. rf Chester pedals?? Best I've ever had, on my pogo and hex.

thanks! yeah chesters. Ran into a rock on a dh track with those pedals. The pedal was only scratched, but the crank was bent! Strong pedals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesb said:

thanks! yeah chesters. Ran into a rock on a dh track with those pedals. The pedal was only scratched, but the crank was bent! Strong pedals.

What about the pins? My Nukeproof Electron Evo seem to be made of the same material. The pins rip out quite often.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:06 AM, niconj said:

What about the pins? My Nukeproof Electron Evo seem to be made of the same material. The pins rip out quite often.

After a year on my enduro bike and now on my trials bike, only a couple pins gone.

• Like 1