• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • Green
    • Other
    • I won't be voting

I've never been so interested in politics, because it's never mattered to me personally as much as this election, so just out of curiosity really, how will you be voting and what are your thoughts on the whole thing?

Labour.

I don't particularly like any of them, but they align closest with my beliefs. I hate the Conservatives with a passion.

I avoid political discussions where possible, because the state of it in the UK is a disgrace and it makes me quite angry to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Conservative, I don't like them nor do I care for any others out there. But they started this brexit shit show so they can finish it and suffer the consequences when it all goes tits up.

But who's going to be suffering the consequences? The whole point of May calling this election is to avoid the pending consequences of lying to the electorate about Brexit. Whoever is in charge of the grand departure we're not going to be coming out the other side of it smelling of roses...

I honestly don't think Brexit should be that big a consideration on that basis, look at where the country is now and where it's headed, with or without Europe...

Edited by Jolfa

1 hour ago, Jolfa said:

But who's going to be suffering the consequences? The whole point of May calling this election is to avoid the pending consequences of lying to the electorate about Brexit. Whoever is in charge of the grand departure we're not going to be coming out the other side of it smelling of roses..

In my opinion nobody could make a good job of brexit, it just won't be a success so we should atleast be able to hold them to account rather then Labour wading in halfway through and getting destroyed for it.

In all fairness I'll probably vote Labour, my otherhalves family mostly work in the public sector so I cast mine on there behalf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manuel said:

Why?

Politics is something I have never been interested in. I don't really care as long as I have my job and my friends. WWhat annoys me more is when all of the people suddenly become politicians and start shoving things down my throat. I wouldn't do the same to anyone else about something I'm so passionate about so why should they suddenly do it to me and others. It's worse when people tell me to "go vote so and so", why would I do that when I don't even know or care about it. It is very ignorant as said but, life goes on. Changes happen, I deal with it. 

3 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Politics is something I have never been interested in. I don't really care as long as I have my job and my friends. WWhat annoys me more is when all of the people suddenly become politicians and start shoving things down my throat. I wouldn't do the same to anyone else about something I'm so passionate about so why should they suddenly do it to me and others. It's worse when people tell me to "go vote so and so", why would I do that when I don't even know or care about it. It is very ignorant as said but, life goes on. Changes happen, I deal with it. 

If it was a straight vote whether to keep the NHS or not, would you vote?

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I don't really have a strong opinion either way and don't really know much about politics but Corbyn... I really can't see him leading anything. I mean even the Labour Party don't want him. 

He was elected leader twice... May has fallen into her role because nobody else would touch the shit storm and now she won't debate anything, because she has nothing but scripts and sound bites as answers...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

In my opinion nobody could make a good job of brexit, it just won't be a success so we should atleast be able to hold them to account rather then Labour wading in halfway through and getting destroyed for it.

But to vote them in again will just harm the country further, long after Brexit has blown over so the "your mess, you clean it up" mentality is cutting your nose off to spite your face..

I don't hold much hope it'll be anything other than a Tory landslide though so we'll see!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jolfa said:

But to vote them in again will just harm the country further, long after Brexit has blown over so the "your mess, you clean it up" mentality is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Yeah I see that also, I just feel it's an issue for someone to come in halfway through the brexit talks and try to continue with a different agenda.

Although on the other hand the Tories have 'achieved' more in their time in power then most others do, so I wonder if they're the right folk for right now?!

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

If it was as clear cut as that and nothing else involving politics then yes I would. 

If politicians were guaranteed to do what they say they will then I would too. On the whole politicians are self-serving and just trying to get votes. Look at the Brexit shambles, all these morons duped into thinking that what Farage said was even remotely true. And then everyone ends up like moths at a lightbulb, as if they feel that this time all the things they vote for are going to come true.

Ultimately the truth is that Corbyn, May, Clinton or Sanders... none of them are going to save any of our miserable little lives or make this shit show any more enjoyable - only we can do that.

14 minutes ago, Tony Harrison said:

If politicians were guaranteed to do what they say they will then I would too. On the whole politicians are self-serving and just trying to get votes. Look at the Brexit shambles, all these morons duped into thinking that what Farage said was even remotely true. And then everyone ends up like moths at a lightbulb, as if they feel that this time all the things they vote for are going to come true.

Ultimately the truth is that Corbyn, May, Clinton or Sanders... none of them are going to save any of our miserable little lives or make this shit show any more enjoyable - only we can do that.

Agreed!

Reason Corbyn won't win is that he doesn't promise completely unrealistic stuff. I really wish 'I don't trust any of you f**kers' was a box I could tick...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

If it was as clear cut as that and nothing else involving politics then yes I would. 

That's really the main issue for me in this election, it's a choice between waving it goodbye or at least potentially keeping it, the situation has become pretty dire for NHS staff the last few years and it's completely deliberate and easily preventable!

On the matter of politicians delivering on promises, all the conservatives have to offer on that front is "strong and stable leadership/economy/future strong and stable strong and stable strong and stable" which is the complete opposite of what they're delivering over and over, the leader won't even answer questions and they've created more debt than every labour government combined. Corbyn is at least promising change from the shit storm the country is in, not more of the same.

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tony Harrison said:

while part of this is of course true - there usually are no political miracle cures - this is a pretty elitist view. maybe you are in a position where small polictical changes won't affect you much. but there are lots of people out there who are existentially threatened by the actions of shit politicians.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am. As a working man, and a son of a father who's trade f**ked over by Maggie the devil, and with a girlfriend who's a nurse and father was a miner, I am voting labour. Not sure wether Jeremy Corbyn is the right man for the job, bit too liberal for my liking. But is his replacement, if there is one, Is he going to be any better? Ed Milland was a joke, it should have been his brother David in charge.

Edited by bing

Dann pretty much summed up the way i have always felt about voting, except I am 39, and have felt that way for many more years(total apathy).

Here's whats bugging me:

Since i moved 3.5 yrs ago, I have not registered to vote.  The first round of poll cards came in and i was busy so ignored them.. Then the threatening poll cards come along "it is an OFFENCE to not register to vote" £80 fine etc.etc.

So i'm like yeah whatever, f**k you i'm definitely not doing it now. Fine me..

I was interested, more than anything, to see how far it would go.. 80 fine i can cope with, but it would never get that far..  If it got to court date letters i would just bite the bullet.. Couldn't find any specific law or cases where people have been prosecuted for it..

2 years pass with annual threat, then *my wife* gets a random call on her mobile from the chief at the local voting office asking questions about why i wont/haven't registered! "Why not!?" "Is he a legal uk citizen?" Yes, 39 years... "then why not?? He HAS to!!!"

Blabs the usual shit about it being an offence, law changed in 2012 apparently, due to there being no census any more, mentioned a 1000 pound fine this time.

This election the drive to register to vote is pretty full on.. £20 thorp park tickets if you can prove you have registered to vote.. All over telly/facebook/celebrity endorsement etc. Even people on TF are banging on at me to do it!!

Now i'm no Dave anscombe, but seems like they are *so* desperate for me to do it that maybe there is some ulterior motive(s) i'm not seeing / getting.

Point is i don't feel i should be forced to do anything, i feel i should have a free right to choose. Payed taxes, NI for 21 years, my choice.

I might just register for an easier life, not that it particularly bothers me at all, and vote corbyn because i feel he potentially represents some sort of change (maybe).

Or maybe i won't, and just continue not to care. Not sure, opinions?

Also bonus points for anyone who finds the specific law i would be prosecuted under, or any precedents.

Tl:dr - sorry.

Edited by natmangee