The Small Repairs / Bike Parts Question Thread

jeff costello

Every now and then i have a small bike related question, but i don't want to start a new thread. thought it might be practical, if we had a thread for those.

i'll start with:

- can i use contact glue as thread lock? i don't have any loctite around, but i do have a big tin of contact glue (don't mind if it dries slower)

[addition-edit: if i use glue, should i use glue only, or grease and glue??]

second one: 

- i also have some ceramics paste. is it a good idea to use it as a lube (mostly for threads) on a bike? it has a weird consistency, less like grease, more like white paint.

Edited by jeff costello

52 minutes ago, ogre said:

forums so dead and for ease of searches for future members it probably doesn't hurt to just make a new topic every time.

maybe. on the other hand i can think of maybe ten times in the past where i have not posted at all because i didn't want to open a new thread. starting a thread can be a pretty threshold to cross sometimes

In my experience putting some kind of gunk on a bolt thread doesn't actually stop the tension coming off the bolt, it'll stop the nut unwinding fully and dropping off but not keep the bolt tight. Only real way to stop bolts coming loose is to properly preload them (torque them up). Bolts can only be undone 2 or 3 times before the threads smooth off and they done bite as well together and then no amount of preload will keep them tight, you usually have to change them at this point, or at least that's what the likes of F1 teams do.

• Like 1

Fair enough, those will be in tapped holes then so ignore everything I have said about washers. Have you replaced the chain ring or undone it a few times? May be best to get a complete set and replace the lot if one has worked loose. Look up manufacturers recommendations about torque settings for the bolts and use a torque wrench to put them on again. May also be best to put a bit of copper grease or Molly paste on the thread before putting them on, it'll help overcome some of the friction on the threads when tightening so you actually preload the bolt and will prevent them rusting tight incase you ever want to get them off again. Don't overtighten though, if you strip the internal threads on the ring you have to replace.