Magura MT's

Oak T

Hello guys and gals

I'm looking for some new brakes for my 24" and looking for some peoples experiences with them? 

I'm considering MT6, MT5 and MT7 if people have used them please help with some opinions. 

Thank you

Oak

No need to write much. They are very good brakes and even better if you run then with trialtech pads. 

Only downside is the small gap between the pads. If your rotor isn't 100% true, they rub. 

They are the best option on the market right now. If you have the money for MT7s you might consider hunting down some new Shimano 810s though. 

Edited by niconj

I've used all three brakes, and put them in this order (first being my favourite) MT6 - MT7 - MT5.

The MT6 offers slightly more pad clearance so doesn't rub as much, the brake holds really well (not quite on par with the MT7 / MT5, but more than enough) and from my experience, has more modulation than the 4pot brakes. I haven't checked, but would hazard a guess the MT6 brakes are slightly lighter too...

The MT7 has a little more adjustment capability, so works a tad better than the MT5 (in terms of clearance). Also, when using the 4 pot brake, the MT5 has a two pad configuration (vs. 4 pad configuration on the 7), in my experience the two pad configuration feels more reliable / has less pad rock. 

If you can get one of the newer 1-finger levers then the brakes feel more 'solid' than the two finger levers (and more comfortable). In terms of pad choice, the Magura standard pads are excellent once worn in (which should take less than 30 mins), offer great modulation vs. power. I would highly recommend keeping them and giving them a try before you go straight out and buy some aftermarket pads.

Finally, the price, MT6 is middle of the road (£130ish), with the 5 being the cheapest (£90ish) / 7 most expensive (£170ish).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ben_travis said:

I've used all three brakes, and put them in this order (first being my favourite) MT6 - MT7 - MT5.

The MT6 offers slightly more pad clearance so doesn't rub as much, the brake holds really well (not quite on par with the MT7 / MT5, but more than enough) and from my experience, has more modulation than the 4pot brakes. I haven't checked, but would hazard a guess the MT6 brakes are slightly lighter too...

The MT7 has a little more adjustment capability, so works a tad better than the MT5 (in terms of clearance). Also, when using the 4 pot brake, the MT5 has a two pad configuration (vs. 4 pad configuration on the 7), in my experience the two pad configuration feels more reliable / has less pad rock. 

If you can get one of the newer 1-finger levers then the brakes feel more 'solid' than the two finger levers (and more comfortable). In terms of pad choice, the Magura standard pads are excellent once worn in (which should take less than 30 mins), offer great modulation vs. power. I would highly recommend keeping them and giving them a try before you go straight out and buy some aftermarket pads.

Finally, the price, MT6 is middle of the road (£130ish), with the 5 being the cheapest (£90ish) / 7 most expensive (£170ish).

Thank you! Do the MT5's have the Bite point adjustments? or is it reach only? I'd thought the MT5s would cost more than that! 

Cheers 

Oak

The BAT adjuster also makes the MT7s pretty temperamental in my experience.  My frankenbrake (essentially an MT5 with HC blade) feels way firmer and more consistent than the MT7s I had.  You don't get the crappy flappy blade thing you get when you have a lot of BAT adjuster dialled on too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark W said:

The BAT adjuster also makes the MT7s pretty temperamental in my experience.  My frankenbrake (essentially an MT5 with HC blade) feels way firmer and more consistent than the MT7s I had.  You don't get the crappy flappy blade thing you get when you have a lot of BAT adjuster dialled on too.

How did you fit the HC blade to the MT5 body?

A MT brake with servo wave would be the bomb. No rubbing and a pretty light and powerful brake.

Edited by niconj

It's the HC1 rather than the ballersgonnaball HC3, but it just fits.  I've essentially got an MT2 lever body, a HC1 MT5 blade and an MT7 caliper.

The Hopes are nice and fairly consistent but don't have the same power as the 4-piston Magura brakes.  Funnily enough, with the HC1 blade my MT...brakes actually have their bite point out surprisingly far.  I thought they'd go pretty Magura-y and start pulling nearer the bar but they're solid.

As an alternative option, mid-may Magura are releasing a brake combo that features what's essentially an MT5 front and an MT4 rear.  We're going to be stocking them but switching the hoses so you've got the 5 rear/4 front.  It's almost a tribute Ali C MT6/MT7 setup.  But yeah, they're surprisingly cheap compared to most other brakes so might be worth keeping an eye out for.

• Like 2

The not having the BAT and pad rock like you mentioned makes me feel like I'd just get the Tech 3 lever Trialzone set-up. I like having the lever travel a very pull quite short it just helps me with my manuals! I tend to pull the lever a bit too hard if I have a lot of travel cant get used to it!

I do still want to try the MT brakes but if there a bit temperamental makes it a bit nah for me. I'm not the softest rider to be honest unless I'm riding my mod. 

Thank you for the help guys. Really appreciate it

Oak

17 hours ago, Mark W said:

It's the HC1 rather than the ballersgonnaball HC3, but it just fits.  I've essentially got an MT2 lever body, a HC1 MT5 blade and an MT7 caliper.

A MT4 brake with this lever blade should work as well shouldn't it. MT4 + MT5 lever bodies are the same aren't they?

Magura-Bremshebel-HC-1-Finger-Reach-Adju

Edited by niconj

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I'd say 5 over 7 and the 4 is working really well as a front for me.

Yeah I've found a pair of MT5's for £100 just to try them out! If I don't like it I'll most probably go back to Hope Brakes!

Thank you for the help guys really appreciate it!

Oak

Edited by Oak T

• 2 weeks later...

I've now seen the MT Trail Sport is it worth spending more on a MT6 front and MT7 on the rear? cause it seems there isn't much difference between the MT Trail Sport and MT6-MT7

Cheers

Oak

24 minutes ago, Oak T said:

I've now seen the MT Trail Sport is it worth spending more on a MT6 front and MT7 on the rear? cause it seems there isn't much difference between the MT Trail Sport and MT6-MT7

There's no difference. It's an MT6 for the front and an MT7 for the rear. As @ben_travis suggested, I'd buy two MT6 instead, or even the MT4 if money is short. You can get Trialtech pads for both now so the braking power should be even better than with stock pads.

I was gonna write that when riders like Ben are satisfied with an MT6, amateurs like us should be so too but then again, he rides really smooth and may not need as much power as we do, when not landing perfectly etc. But I am pretty certain that the difference between the MT6 and the MT7 is only marginal.

Having ridden the MT5/6 I'd still go looking for a new Shimano Saint 810. The pad clearance can be an issue once your rotor is slightly untrue. I had a rubbing SLX rotor on my Saints which was still ridable but wasn't with the MT5.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Yeah the better the rider, the less demanding he is when it comes to brakes. 

The MT Trail Sport looks more like an MT5/4 than a 7/6. That's the standard, not uprated lever. 

Therefore I'd give it a miss. MT5 or above. 

True. They have the short lever though. I'd go for MT5 front and rear when looking at this weekend deal

1 hour ago, Greetings said:

The MT Trail Sport looks more like an MT5/4 than a 7/6.

That's because it is an MT4 and an MT5?  The only difference is the HC blade and "TRAIL" written on it rather than "FIVE".

Aside from when Mantel are chopping stuff out cheap the Trail setup is the one I'd go for just because it's pretty cheap for two very good brakes.

Semi-related, the HC blade fits all their brakes from the MT4 up to the MT8 (officially, at least - I've got the HC blade fitted to my MT2 lever body with no problems), so there's not really any performance advantages inherent in the lever itself apart from the BAT adjuster.  That said, the BAT adjuster seemed to be the source of all my problems with my MT7s, and seem to lead to most problems our customers mention, so the MT5 is probably a better bet in that sense.

• 1 month later...
On 16.5.2017 at 9:36 PM, Dman said:

I'd say 5 over 7 and the 4 is working really well as a front for me.

I just bought an MT4 with the HC1 blade. I'll try it on the rear and if it's enough, I'll get one for the front as well. The reason for getting this is that the Saints 810 I have on the front are too much. Since the MT4 comes with a lot of cable, I'll try it on the rear first. If it doesn't offer the power I need, I'll just pop the MT5 on there. I just hope that @ben_travis is right in saying that the MT6 (MT4) has a bit more pad clearance. I can't stand rubbing brakes.

• Like 1

Just took another hour to get this brake rub free. I'm sure it won't stay this way but as long as it's not too bad, I'll leave it like this. I put some Trickstuff NG pads in there and mounted the HC1 lever. As the MT4 labeled wasn't available, I just took the MT5 one. I'll also be running 180mm rotors for now. If the brake isn't powerful enough, I'll get some Jitsie pads. 

Out to bedding in the brake...

Edited by niconj