Magura MT's

Oak T

@niconj I have my MT7's it's still rubbing a bit on mine but haven't ridden it much brakes are good, bought some Trialtech MT5 pads for it glad I did! Now I don't have to hear a big clunk when I land, 

im now looking for a MT4 calliper for the front! MT7 front does an amazing job though! 

I've also found the The standard 4 individual pads have a tad bit for clearance than the 2 pad configuration. 

Edited by Oak T

1 hour ago, Oak T said:

@niconj ...

I ran the MT5 already on my 4play and once the rotor isn't 100% true it rubs, which is annoying. The perform equally good as the Saints though, or better but I wouldn't notice the difference...

On the Console I'm pretty sure that if I have to tension the chain, the disc will rub a lot as the wheel won't be in the exact same position. Now it does't rub but I can barely see any gap between the pads and the rotor.

2 hours ago, Scott Gibbs said:

Sorry to hijack but when I looked up the HC3 lever it says it's not compatible with the 2,4 and 5 is that because of the BAT?

Yes. You'll need the HC1.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

On 2017-7-3 at 10:21 AM, Dman said:

My 4 on the front sets up rub free really easily, with a visible gap, the 5 is a different story.

I have better clearance using the 4 individual pads than the 2 pad config! I like having rub free set up but with pad rock and loud clunks when landing Id stick with the 2 pad config!

Oak

I put some Trialtech pads in my MT4 on the rear as I was impatient and wanted to know how well they perform. The haven't really bedded in yet (I didn't bother to do the 30km/h - 5km/h x 30 procedure) and they already perform reasonably well. The hold isn't quite there yet but bite is already great.

edit: I put one layer of duct tape on the back of the pads and it's already knock-free. :)

edit2: I have to say that the one finger (HC1) levers are way more comfortable than the Saint 810 ones.

Edited by niconj

I'm running a 160mm mt2 on the front of my mod. The brake is quite honesty a danger to my well being :P Slips all over the place. Is the mt2 just too weak for trials, or should I try to give it a bleed? I can get an mt5 for €80 which is not too bad as an alternative.

14 hours ago, omgnoseat said:

I'm running a 160mm mt2 on the front of my mod. The brake is quite honesty a danger to my well being :P Slips all over the place. Is the mt2 just too weak for trials, or should I try to give it a bleed? I can get an mt5 for €80 which is not too bad as an alternative.

As I said, I talked to a guy at Magura and he told me that whatever comes after the MT4 is only more adjustability ( I know that publicity talks about a different lever ratio of the MT6/7/8 levers).

My conclusion: MT2 < MT4 = MT6 (toolless adjustment of lever reach and bite point) = MT8 (-20gr.) < MT5 = MT7 (toolless adjustment of lever reach and bite point)

The problem I have with the MTs is that they rub! I can't stand any noise on my bikes. Yesterday I went for a long ride and only after a couple of 180s the rear brake started to rub again*. Then, whenever I did a track stand, there was that annoying squeaky sound the brakes make when slowly moving the wheel. I was so annoyed by this that I went back to my 810 Saints on the rear. On the front the brake performed OK. No rub whatsoever but as I switched back to my Saints on the rear, I had to do something about the front lever. So I took one of my many spare Saint 810 levers and married it to the MT4 caliper. I had done this with an MT7 caliper already and it was the most powerful brake ever** (if it weren't for the rubbing...). 

I haven't ridden this setup on the front yet but I assume that this Shigura will be more powerful than a normal MT4/6 but less powerful than the Saint 810. This is actually what I wanted as I bought the MT4s. The Saint on the front was just too much even with 180mm rotors. I wanted to try it on the rear (weight weenie?), but couldn't stand the noise. The bite point is the same on the front and rear. Normally the bite point of a 2 pot brake is harder than that of a 4 pot brake.

My setup in short:

Front: Shigura (Saint 810 lever + MT4/6 caliper + Jitsie pads)
Rear: Saint 810 + Trialtech pads

In the past I have noticed that the bite point of almost any Shimano brake moves out quite considerably when pulling the lever a couple of times in quick succession. The colder it is, the worse it gets. This has been discussed in length on our forum as well. The conclusion was that Shimano Oil (as well as Magura Oil) has a too low viscosity, especially in the cold. The solution is Putoline HPX R 2.5 which has a much higher viscosity*** and gets rid of bite point movement of Shimano brakes. It also makes bleeding the brake easier as bubbles can move faster in the tube.

*Aligned perfectly the day before, rotor is 100% true and brake was tightened with the specified torque + Loctite 243

**Many people have reported this on our German MTB Forum.

***Putoline at -1°C has the same viscosity as Shimano oil at 20°C and many people have tested it on their MTBs without any heat issue either.

Edited by niconj

MT4 caliper leaking at the banjo bolt. I can slowly pull the brake lever to the handlebars. The bolt is tight and the brake hasn't gotten a hit. I went back to Saint 810 on the front as well. The Shigura was mighty powerful though, more so than with the Magura lever. I'd even say that it's up there with the Saints.

I'm also thinking about changing my front MT7 to a MT6. now they've fully bedded in its having trouble with modulation! 

Mine have been fine so far no leaks yet. Another side note is I really like how Magura has the same bolt size for everything! makes life easier 

Oak

• 3 weeks later...

It seems I may have some leakage left the bike for a week or two, went for a short ride and found my lever keep pulling back further and further. 

Bleed bolt is rather tight not sure where it even came from! has anyone else had this issue before?

In the picture I did wipe some of the oil off with my finger to see if it was oil. 

cheers 

Oak

IMG_1003.JPG

1 hour ago, Oak T said:

It seems I may have some leakage left the bike for a week or two, went for a short ride and found my lever keep pulling back further and further. 

Bleed bolt is rather tight not sure where it even came from! has anyone else had this issue before?

In the picture I did wipe some of the oil off with my finger to see if it was oil. 

cheers 

Oak

IMG_1003.JPG

Check the banjo bolt. Mine leaked there.

5 hours ago, niconj said:

I don't remember the bleed bolt having a washer underneath it.

Thats not a spacer thats the bolt it self! I've cleaned the caliper and every so often I'll go to have a look and theres still a little bit of oil leaking out of it. On the caliper under the bleed bolt its slightly raised so it may look like a spacer but it's not

Edited by Oak T

14 hours ago, Oak T said:

Thats not a spacer thats the bolt it self! I've cleaned the caliper and every so often I'll go to have a look and theres still a little bit of oil leaking out of it. On the caliper under the bleed bolt its slightly raised so it may look like a spacer but it's not

Ok. I've only had the black ones so it looked weird to me. Just return your brake and get a new one. Pain in the ass but nothing you can do really.

Although... On my Magura HS33 piston I used insulation tape on the bolt and it does leaking. Worth a shot I think.