Used Specialized Enduro advice

Willeyeam

I'm looking at buying my first mountain bike and found this for a pretty decent price. It's supposedly 2016 and barely ridden. The only warning sign is he doesn't have the receipt but it seems legit. What should I look out for when buying a used Enduro and can anyone confirm it's 2016?

Whanks,

Will

4A3E28ED-A5B1-43ED-9228-DA206072A45C-2185-00000152BE073D28.jpeg

I think perhaps you should look up the definition of oil cavitation in a damper.

You're thinking of air that has leaked into an otherwise sealed and bled cartridge (such as fox fit or rockshox charger) which can negatively impact on damping performance.

Cavitation is completely different, damping fails as a result of excessive pressure drop behind a piston /port, potentially causing inconsistent damping. In reality, modern bike suspension doesn't suffer from it because the dampers are designed correctly.

Please check the information you're doling out to people is correct* :)

*a bit like having to send a reverb off to sram to get it serviced...

• Like 1

Back on topic, inspect the bike, other than the suspension and dropper post it's the same as any other bike.

Check for smooth movement in all linkages with no clunks or notches; likewise there should be no sideways movement in the rear suspension at all.

Generally if it's clean, things work as expected then it's worth what you want to pay. I would always work on 50% of the rrp simply for being second hand with no warranty, this can be adjusted either way for use/lack of.

I dare say you could get more bike for your money with some research and luck but if it ticks the boxes then go for it :)

• 1 month later...

Old post I know, did you get the bike?

It's a 2016 https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/enduro-comp-650b/106331

I have the same bike but the 15 model. Seen 15 models making between £1200 & £1500 on eBay recently so I'd say thats good value if it's tidy.

Make sure linkage bearings aren't worn.

They're a great bike, mine seems to float over everything I throw it at!

Edited by JB1