Tyre choice to prevent punctures

Daviesdt

4 hours ago, Paperclip said:

^Selling point being that their team riders are having to resort to DIY tubeless?

I may have had luck but I haven't had a single puncture with my contis and I have bottomed out a lot lately, focussing on pedal gaps.

7 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

(how thick are those things!? I bet I could ride them without a tyre!)

Just extracted the tube from the closet, seems to be 2.2mm wall thickness, probably more than the holy rollers lol

But yeah, I'm not sure about the contis. They're bloody expensive. And if it ain't broke don't fix it (in my case). Would need to try them first I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Just extracted the tube from the closet, seems to be 2.2mm wall thickness, probably more than the holy rollers lol

But yeah, I'm not sure about the contis. They're bloody expensive. And if it ain't broke don't fix it (in my case). Would need to try them first I think.

Another thing is they last a really long time. I'm sure you'd get through 2 pairs of maxxis before one conti is bald.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes just you wait for a series of really nice build photos @Paperclip

18 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

No one is expecting photos taken at radical bikes. No one. 

I'll start a vlog/instagram, I've been working on my footjam whips and I've nearly mastered 180s off curbs. Promise. Right now I'm setting up my Facebook athlete page and drinking a #Redbull. I'll also wear a #snapback hat so you know how extreme I am, wearing it backwards only amplifies the effect further.

You're right though. My camera is f**king ready!

Edited by LEON
  • Like 4

On 5/30/2017 at 5:51 AM, Daviesdt said:

Are the continental heavy? Looking at the tubes Dman posted above and what topsy says above, downhill tubes are just under 0.5 kilo a tube (how thick are those things!? I bet I could ride them without a tyre!) If the continental were say 0.5 kilo a tyre I'd really be starting to jack up the weight of the bike.

I may try new tyres first then change tubes if still getting punctures. Still not sure on the continental tyres yet, want to see if I can find any Odyssey tyres and compare the two before buying.....

Looking at the weight of the Contis (816g) vs Holy Rollers (778g) I doubt there is going to be much of a difference in pinch puncture resistance, it's the weight of a chocolate bar! Reckon you should get a dual-ply if you can find one weighing around 1000g, my 26" Maxxis tyres weigh about 1200g and I've very rarely punctured them, even denting the rim quite badly without puncturing during mtb/trials use.

In my experience of riding trials and mtb and running £3 tubes it is the tyre that makes the biggest difference. You don't want to be puncturing £5+ tubes all the time.

Looks like you have terrible choice in 24" tyres. Those Contis look very expensive and think it's the extra grip from the compound that you are paying for, not extra sidewall thickness, though I've never seen them so am just guessing really!

What about cutting up some old tubes (I know you have plenty of them ;) ) and reinforcing the sidewalls by gluing them on?! That's what I would try! 

Or run your tyre at a crazy psi, making your bike feel horrendous at the same time, and try and ride smoother....know it's hard when learning though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

making your bike feel horrendous at the same time

I wouldn't want to run a 24'' Maxxis on a street trials bike. And there's not much of a weight difference between 24'' and 26''. In fact, the Maxxis Minion 24'' weighs about 1200gr.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

Yeah,but can I find dual ply tyres in 24 inch!? Asked local BMX shop to search for Odyssey aitkins for me in 24 inch. Nothing. Think I might have to reinforce the tyres the old fashioned way by putting an old cut up tyre inside the new one. Got to be better than punctures all the time, might be able to run at a lower psi too and get more response out of the tyre when hopping.

3 hours ago, niconj said:

I wouldn't want to run a 24'' Maxxis on a street trials bike. And there's not much of a weight difference between 24'' and 26''. In fact, the Maxxis Minion 24'' weighs about 1200gr.

Yeah, not ideal really, but if it was me I would sacrifice a small amount of extra rolling resistance for a far more durable tyre.

They are missing a trick not making any 24" dual plys!

Just get the Contis, the weight difference is nothing, and the sidewalls are pathetic on Holy Rollers, they really are crap tyres. The only dual ply tyres you'll get in 24" are minions & dh tyres which will weigh a ton and feel like crap on a street bike.

If you pump Continentals up properly and use decent tubes and you still get punctures then you just need to be smoother.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Yeah, not ideal really, but if it was me I would sacrifice a small amount of extra rolling resistance for a far more durable tyre.

They are missing a trick not making any 24" dual plys!

It's not a small amount of rolling resistance though, a minion is a fat sluggish heavy dh tyre, a street tyre rolls much faster and smoother and weighs a lot less. You can't really compare puncture resistance if you're using a 1200g tractor tyre on a 48mm wide rim.

• Like 2

I don't see the problem here. I've been riding the Contis for about half a year now and haven't had a puncture yet. I weigh 90kg, am not a smooth rider and run 40-45 psi. 

I also ride my bike to the spots and we have a lot of broken glass lying around in our city. No problem with that either. 

I may not go as big as the better riders on this forum but as I said, I'm heavy and not as smooth as they are. 

I think that the better you get, the bigger you go. This might be more demanding on the tyre but you'll also become smoother which reduces the stress on the tyre in turn. 

We also don't really have a choice. And having had the Conti and the Holy roller in my hands side by side I can say that you notice the stronger side walls of the Conti a lot even though it's not much heavier. 

One thing that might work is cutting down the knobs of a Maxxis but how long will it last then? It also costs more than the Conti which after half a year of riding 3-4 times a week, doesn't show that much wear. 

Edited by niconj

12 hours ago, LEON said:

It's not a small amount of rolling resistance though, a minion is a fat sluggish heavy dh tyre, a street tyre rolls much faster and smoother and weighs a lot less. You can't really compare puncture resistance if you're using a 1200g tractor tyre on a 48mm wide rim.

I'm not using a 48mm rim, I've got a 28mm rim on my Hex and am running a Minion on the back, dare I say in the super tacky compound! I honestly don't find it an issue at all and can easily get enough speed for manuals and bunnyhops etc. Obviously a street tyre would roll even better, but for me puncture resistance is more important and worth the trade off in rolling resistance.

I've not tried those tractor tyres, are they any good?

6 hours ago, niconj said:

We also don't really have a choice. And having had the Conti and the Holy roller in my hands side by side I can say that you notice the stronger side walls of the Conti a lot even though it's not much heavier. 

Sounds like it could be worth trying them out then if they are better constructed. That and a mixture of more air and riding smoother! I ride with Dave quite a bit and a lot of our rides have been cut short or don't even start because of his punctures, hopefully he can sort it out!

• Like 1

A Minion is a tractor tyre compared to most. If you had a wider rim you probably wouldn't need such thick sidewalls, 28mm is tiny on the back.

The point is...being smooth helps a lot, Continentals are worth the money and Holy Roller sidewalls are like paper.