Continental tyres need help!!

Jack Heard

Put some new Air king contis on my bike about a month ago now. Rode these tyres for years.

theyre perfect until they take a hard hit. The tyre folded off the rim and look extremely buckled (lateral) when riding. I've had the tyres off and put them back on again back up to 60 psi. They stay looking true for a few hours and then go back to looking bucked. The wheel is true. 

Can anybody help. This has happened before and I just left it. 

Some tyres are just a bitch, take it off, get tyre soap if you know someone with at a tyre fitting garage. I used dove extra moisturising last time, rub it round bead and rim, then reinflate it until you hear it pop on. Then check the line on the tyre all the way round make sure it's an even gap. I did one 3 or 4 times once. No rim or tyre bead damage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Some tyres are just a bitch, take it off, get tyre soap if you know someone with at a tyre fitting garage. I used dove extra moisturising last time, rub it round bead and rim, then reinflate it until you hear it pop on. Then check the line on the tyre all the way round make sure it's an even gap. I did one 3 or 4 times once. No rim or tyre bead damage?

Will general soap work? I struggle to get it to "pop" on? What sort of pressure am I to be pumping into it? 

What rims are they on? I had the spank spike race 33s briefly and they were the worst rim I've ever had for holding a tyre. But the continentals can be a bitch anyway. Pump up a little bit at a time and straighten as you go.

Weird.  The 33's seem pretty decent from all the feedback I've heard.  Pretty sure that some big hits/twists can mess the tyre itself up though - seem to remember Ali did a wallride to 90 a while back and it put a bulge in the tyre that didn't go away.

• Like 1

I'm running 55/60 psi though with riding skatepark the majority of the time. I don't want to change tyres but I hate the feel of them when riding when they deform. After doing what you said @Dman they seemed a slight bit better but just gonna have to do it a few more times until I get it spot on. 

• Like 1