Identifying A Frame.

Julius Czar

Hey guys.

Just got hold of a 26" frame and I'm not too sure what it is. I'm lead to believe it's a Leeson of sorts as it's a brazed steel frame with the 360° dropouts, and there's a serial number on the front that starts with LB, which I'm guessing stands for Leeson Bikes.

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.9a0f8bb1e96ad72ba0f6f94d2f82c6f3.JPGIMG_0862.thumb.JPG.b5295fa1b193635e3fccba110ddccc3b.JPGIMG_0861.thumb.JPG.9d92a1bfa2765e0fb50aaee2bdf52481.JPG

Does anyone have any more info on this frame? Or does anyone know how to get in contact with Mr Leeson himself? I can get the serial number from it if it's of any use.

Obviously I plan to restore it to its former glory and build it up or maybe sell it! 

Any info would be great.

• Like 1

Definitely a Leeson with those dropouts and that bb area. No idea which one though, doesn't look like any of the production ones I've seen, but I don't know too much about them, might be a custom one.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LEON said:

Definitely a Leeson with those dropouts and that bb area. No idea which one then, doesn't look like any of the production ones I've seen, but I don't know too much about them, might be a custom one.

I've had it in my possession before, then I gave it away and I've managed to get it back. I do remember asking about it on here the last time to no avail. Haven't got a clue about it really but I know leesons aren't the most popular frames out there! Would be good to know more about it. 

6 hours ago, AndyT said:

Looks f**king great I would build that up as is the patina will get you instant beyond Danny Mac status.

I think that's the plan. I want to keep the rough look with the brazing exposed and clear coat it. I'll get rid of the actual rust, but it's left loads of pitting behind for extra cool points B)

I've sent him an email with pictures and the serial number so I'll post an update if I get a reply! Hopefully he still uses the email from the Leeson site! 

• Like 1

Update! 

Decided to give the number on the leeson site a go, ended up talking to who I believe to be Clive and he told me what the serial number meant.

The serial number is LB-584XXLCK12

LB-584 is the frame number.

XXL means extra extra long, he said it'll measure somewhere around the 1100mm mark.

CK12 means that the dropouts are machined to fit a chris king hub with a 12mm bolt through axle. 

He couldn't give me any specifics on the frame, but he was keen to know the condition of it and was keen to hear my plans for it. Lovely bloke, really helpful (Y)

The more you know! 

Im gonna put a little restoration thread in the bike pictures section so check that out if you want to see it looking much better! 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AndyT said:

Very cool... the 1100 level boss still sits on the wall in my garage, had a lot of fun on that monster bike, learned my first 180s with speed on it...

I think this might just end up on the wall too to be fair, I'm like 5ft 6" so it's far too big for me to ride, and I don't have the money or space to build another bike.. might have to sell some bits haha! 

On 6/18/2017 at 7:12 AM, Julius Czar said:

I think this might just end up on the wall too to be fair, I'm like 5ft 6" so it's far too big for me to ride, and I don't have the money or space to build another bike.. might have to sell some bits haha! 

Well I'm getting kicked out of my rented house in Los Angeles, owner want some to sell it... I've got 22 fully built bike, most vintage, and it's time to lighten the load ! 

On 20/06/2017 at 2:09 AM, AndyT said:

Well I'm getting kicked out of my rented house in Los Angeles, owner want some to sell it... I've got 22 fully built bike, most vintage, and it's time to lighten the load ! 

Ah yeah that sounds like a few hard decisions! 

5 hours ago, monkeymoped said:

Personally I love leeson frames maybe it's because I like something different but defo love them 

I love the brazing and the thin seatstay tubes at the dropouts. It's like the complete opposite of what's popular today!

• Like 1