Marino Static 2017

LEON

Cheers, yeah everyone was on fire that day. Mark Westlake and a couple of others were taking pics, fun was had.

Never owned one of those so I can't remember the geo, but the closest thing I know of is a Pashley 26GHZ which I loved, it's old school but not too old, so it's loads of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 30/05/2020 at 5:04 PM, LEON said:

Had this nearly 3 years already, changed a lot and done my best to make it as light as possible, got the right stem on, lighter tyres. Rides so good now.

20200530_153650.thumb.jpg.310910747de168f8c9450c6265fb988a.jpg

rails.thumb.jpg.ebd7d0dfedb6041467455f26cfa579c9.jpg

This thread makes me excited to get my own Marino custom soon. Deposit paid, just waiting for finished product ;D

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Is that an old Larsen you had or is it bought new, recently?

Bought it new about 3 years ago but it's had sod all mileage, tried to buy another one this week. Didn't realise they don't exist anymore.

Ā 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ali C said:

I think the Crossmark Mk2 is the closest to a larsen...I'm running a pair now and I really like themĀ 

I did look the mk1 up a while backĀ but I remember them being quite heavy, not looked up the mk2, is it a tall profile like the Larsen?

I get lost between the compounds, dual ply, single ply, folding, wire bead and varying weight claims with MaxxisĀ so I often just give up.

Edited by LEON

No! Thatā€™s the fun part!

Rear youā€™re wanting a dual ply wire bead or folding 2.35 either super tacky or maxx pro depending on how comp or street you are.

Front you want a single ply folding 2.35, same applies for compound.Ā 

I useĀ both the ikon and the crossmark and much prefer the ikon.Ā 

Lol, I have a single ply super tacky on the back (swapped tyres round), mainly because the dual ply weighed 4 tons, but my single ply is stretched over a 48mm rim so it's been ok so far, and it's huge.

I don't think I'll find a folding Larsen, and I do prefer 2.35 over 2.25, but it's more about the tall profile.

Ā 

It's not strictly smooth...it has a pimply braking surface which does hold tar well but a perfectly smooth finish would actually be better. I use Koolstops in metal backings, but I just got some Plazmatics, they're really sticky but I don't know how long they'll last. The disappointing thing about the rim his how pads flex the braking surface inwards, it's quite noticeable.Ā 

In general just use softer pads for smooth rims.

Edited by LEON

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, Ali C said:

I think the Crossmark Mk2 is the closest to a larsen...I'm running a pair now and I really like themĀ 

I bought these, they're excellent. Feels better than a Larsen to me.

• Like 1