Braking surface - Smooth vs sandblast

LEON

Has anyone ever used a rim with a sandblast finish as opposed to a smooth machined/anodised one? Strictly after feedback from people who didn't grind the rims, obviously.

Got a new Trialtech Carthy rear rim, it's huge and really light so beats my Spank in both those areas, but I know the sandblast braking surface will probably lose me some power, I use tar but I've only ever  used smooth/machined rims, can anyone compare experiences with both? It won't be built up for at least a week or so yet so I've got some time.

In theory a sandblasted surface has a larger surface area in terms of heat loss etc for an engine for example, however this isn't of too much relivance here as the peaks and troughs will actually make less contact area so I'm thinking your force from the the brakes will have less contact area hence higher pressure between the rim and pads.

Saying that though I'm sure pads will last a fair bit less time.

• Like 1

I did it absolutely ages ago. Like 2003 or something on a 221 X-Lite. Back then nobody nearby had heard of a grind. We used nails to scorch the rims and pretended it made a difference.

Anyway, I still distinctly remember how the brake performed although the reference point is a bit skewed (Monty milk pads, smooth rims, tar was the norm). It had a much deeper sound, there was plenty of bite and after that a linear increase in locking power. It had way more modulation than modern trials brakes, perhaps due to the shitty pads. It was the best brake I had back then and because the rims were made of an odorless aluminium-cheese alloy with added softener it wore down pretty much instantly.

edit: Read the topic again, that has nothing to do with your question haha

• Like 2