brakes working well in one direction only?

Herbertlemon102

i always thought this was down to the pads not being square- my pads are very much square and level, yet in reverse the pads work fantastic, better than anything ive ever had, but forwards they do very little, no noise no nothing. is this due to the grind? 

Are the pads hitting square on the rim?  If so,  it could be the grind. 

Try this next time you grind your rim. Use your frame / forks if you don't  have a truing stand. I got superb results every single time, however it's imperative you use a fresh disc - personally I'd go for a steel cutting one. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Are the pads hitting square on the rim?  If so,  it could be the grind. 

Try this next time you grind your rim. Use your frame / forks if you don't  have a truing stand. I got superb results every single time, however it's imperative you use a fresh disc - personally I'd go for a steel cutting one. 

cheers, thats a nice tutorial. ill give that go- my grind is fairly recent, not dead yet- will that matter a huge amount d you think?

Do you mean - will it matter when performing a new grind? Nope, not at all. 

On and never go back and forth when grinding a rim. Chose a direction and stick with it. Not sure if it matters which direction you go in so do the other sidewall in the opposite direction just to be on the safe side. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Do you mean - will it matter when performing a new grind? Nope, not at all. 

On and never go back and forth when grinding a rim. Chose a direction and stick with it. Not sure if it matters which direction you go in so do the other sidewall in the opposite direction just to be on the safe side. 

Cheers. I've mostly been disc or no brakes, never done that many grinds and they've been pretty careless lol

I always used to use a very thin steel slitting disc. Little to no pressure only using the weight of the grinder in quick short passes. Do one side and change disc, repeat. Always worked well for me. 

Wear goggles! If sharp fragments of alloy don't end up in your eyes the disc will if you shatter it pressing too hard 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SamKidney said:

I always used to use a very thin steel slitting disc. Little to no pressure only using the weight of the grinder in quick short passes. Do one side and change disc, repeat. Always worked well for me. 

Wear goggles! If sharp fragments of alloy don't end up in your eyes the disc will if you shatter it pressing too hard 

I always wear goggles, I have a wee bit of sense left in me :P cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

I've always found that when grinding a rim, its better to do with the tyre and tube still on. All the white talc shit you get off a tube and rubber from the tyre bead gets into a grind and can make it useless!

This. 

Having a puncture was the worst. Not because you'd have to f**k about with tubes but because you just know that sweet brakes going to be mush for the remainder of the ride :( 

• Like 1