the new inspired flow

mikeyb

hi all, just looking for opinions on the new blue one. Been wanting to get back into trials/street for awhile now and the flow seems like a good way to go. Do i really need a flow plus or would the flow be adequate? Just looking for opinions really so any welcome ☺

The plus is a noticeably better specced bike in a few areas, but as mentioned it all depends on your budget as to whether or not you can justify the 50% price increase to to Plus.

Personally, I'd either check out the second hand market for a used bike around the same price, or look to buy whichever bike fits most comfortably in your budget then keep any reserve funds to upgrade/personalise the bike.

The good thing with the Flow range is that the base spec Flow is still a good bike, and has a solid frame/fork/wheelset so you can get it and then not worry about having to drop a load of money on having to replace an expensive part of the bike through breakages.  

The upgrades on the Flow Plus are good value compared to the Flow, if you look at it compared to you making that change yourself at a later date.  As an example, the crankset upgrade from square taper on the Flow to a splined setup on the Flow Plus would cost a bit of money.  Similarly the change from steel to alloy forks on the Plus would cost £100+.  The brakes are similar, although with the Flow having an optional upgrade to BB5 brakes it does help make that a bit cheaper if you specifically wanted discs from the get-go.

To cut a long story short though, either bike would work well enough so you don't need the Plus as such, but it's got some features that would be nice to have.

• Like 2

I bought a new Flow Plus in December. When I bought it I chose the upgrade option to hydraulic SRAM DB5 brakes. Those brakes are OK, but the rear is definitely not as strong as the rear hydraulic rim brake on my Echo 24. With the 2017 Flow Plus you can now optionally upgrade right away to Hope or Magura brakes. Wish that option existed when I bought mine.

The hope brakes are good as an upgrade, have them on my bike. If you pair them with a decent rotor and pads they give good performance if you can afford them. Personally I would get the best spec bike you can afford, in the long run this is usually the cheapest option in my opinion as saves you the upgrade costs and resultant used spare parts kicking around down the line.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...