Magura mt5 calliper hits post mount adapter

omgnoseat

Super excited to receive my mt5, but while I tried to install it I saw the calliper hits the adapter I have :(

IMG_20170719_193732.thumb.jpg.e242008a6a62f61709ce47b91cf414f0.jpg

Do I need another adapter or something? My mt2 fits just fine with the same setup
Using a 2013 echo urban mod and a 160mm disc.

Edited by omgnoseat

1 hour ago, LEON said:

Looks like a tiny adapter. +20 fork? Small rotor? Your rotor is on backwards and it's eating away at me.

Haha woops, I cleaned the rotor and must have put it back on the other way around :P
The adapter I have isn't on tartybikes anymore, it looks like this one in silver

I have a echo urban 2013 mod fork and a 160mm disc btw.

11 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

sure it isn't upside down?

I tried turning it upside down but then even the mt2 won't fit anymore :P

It looks like a Hope one. Don't know anything about mod stuff though. Looks like the next size up would push the pads way off the rotor. Dodgy fork mount? Might just be the clearance is too tight for a big caliper. Deng stuff probably wasn't designed with that in mind.

But the mount doesn't have to do with the caliper hitting the adapter. It would even do this without being mounted to the forks. It really looks like it's upside down. If it's an Hope adapter, the letter on it should face outwards.

edit: It really looks like an Hope A adapter and mounted the right way. Just try a Magura QM-11. This should fit.

Edited by niconj

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

It won't - you can't fit a 4-piston Magura caliper with a 160mm rotor unless it's on post mount, unfortunately.  It just doesn't clear the adaptor.

Ahh that's what I feared :(

But a 180mm disc will work? I saw the 180mm adapter should have a lot more clearance. Though the power might be kinda overkill. I just don't wanna lay down double the price for the other disc brakes out there :P

I had the same problem with my Magura Marta and a 160mm hope adapter on Trialtech forks. I solved it with some washers underneath the calliper and a 185mm rotor. But your clearance issue looks more extreme than mine was. 180mm looks like your only option. 

4 hours ago, Mark W said:

It won't - you can't fit a 4-piston Magura caliper with a 160mm rotor unless it's on post mount, unfortunately.  It just doesn't clear the adaptor.

For real? Wow... I didn't expect that.

On 20/07/2017 at 3:56 PM, omgnoseat said:

Ahh that's what I feared :(

But a 180mm disc will work? I saw the 180mm adapter should have a lot more clearance. Though the power might be kinda overkill. I just don't wanna lay down double the price for the other disc brakes out there :P

Yeah, 180s would be fine.  I've got the same setup on my bike at the moment (Y)

11 hours ago, Mark W said:

Yeah, 180s would be fine.  I've got the same setup on my bike at the moment (Y)

Great! I've ordered the adapter a few days ago :)
I have a mod though, I always think 180mm disc on a mod looks kind of silly, but oh well