Inspired 24''

Petras

• 1 year later...

After two years Im back. This time I was changing my spoke niple and noticed that my spank rims are broken. Same crack in every hole. Anyone had this? Cant believe. Had cheap trialtech rims for 6 years and nothing. These didnt last even 2 years (I was riding properly maybe 1 year max). Assembed in shop.

20191122_174128.jpg

Edited by Petras

I've got some old Spank Spike rims (not the Race 33) that cracked like that well over a year ago and are still working fine.  Is yours doing anything untoward to make you notice they were cracked, or was it just something you happened to find?  Assuming it's something you spotted just because you happened to look under your rim tape, I'd just keep using it as it is.

17 hours ago, Mark W said:

I've got some old Spank Spike rims (not the Race 33) that cracked like that well over a year ago and are still working fine.  Is yours doing anything untoward to make you notice they were cracked, or was it just something you happened to find?  Assuming it's something you spotted just because you happened to look under your rim tape, I'd just keep using it as it is.

I was trying a flatwhip and my spoke snapped (not the first time). I removed rimtape to look for a nipple because it was somewhere inside and i spotted those cracks. Hmm if you say so I will keep using it. Thanks :).

That's what I meant really - if you didn't have any reason to suspect it was cracked until you took the rim tape off, it suggest it's not impacting performance so it should be fine to keep using realistically.  The inner wall is just there to provide a bit more stiffness/rigidity, so I can't imagine how you'd ever have your rim fail catastrophically from it being cracked there.  Because of that you don't need to have any worries about going for a move and suddenly having your rear wheel explode due to those cracks, if that makes sense. 

Both my Spike rims and my Stiffy rims developed cracks around the spokes holes on the outer wall of the rim, and even with them they've just kept going.  It's not ideal, but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems so I'm not planning on replacing them until they 'properly' break.  Even then that's only likely to manifest itself in a spoke pulling through the rim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

Takes advice, does small drop, rim explodes, dies.

Damn you Westlaaaaake!

:P

Anyone know if Spank accept feedback on their products? Might be worth giving them a shout and showing them your picture? Product advancement and all that jazz.

Wrote them already. Waiting.

Spank IND replied:

"Since we are outside of our warranty period and you state your using the rim for some rather aggressive riding, bunnyhop tailwhips put a very strong very unique pressure onto a rim, we want to offer you a crash replacement option.

I've sent your information to one of our distributors in your area and asked them to assist you."