Some tips on bunnyhop manuals?

omgnoseat

I'm making some progress on manuals, but the manual spot is so damn awkward that I really don't know how to do a bunnyhop manual onto anything higher than a curb. 
You can see my manual spot is quite awkwardly upright, I'm guessing because the frame is on the long side.

Or perhaps my technique is just wrong and In need to lean backwards more?
Edited by omgnoseat

Your front looks a bit high, you'll always have to adjust when you land on something but you're not really moving. That means you're not struggling with height, you just need to have the front a bit lower then if it drops just pump your legs a bit. You're basically approaching it like you're backwheeling it, but without a brake. You need to be more careful if you're manualling, especially on a mod where it's so small and twitchy. I'm assuming you can already manual properly, just move your weight about more to react to what the bike's doing.

4 minutes ago, LEON said:

Your front looks a bit high, you'll always have to adjust when you land on something but you're not really moving. That means you're not struggling with height, you just need to have the front a bit lower then if it drops just pump your legs a bit. You're basically approaching it like you're backwheeling it, but without a brake. You need to be more careful if you're manualling, especially on a mod where it's so small and twitchy. I'm assuming you can already manual properly, just move your weight about more to react to what the bike's doing.

Yeah it's incredibly twitchy haha, way less stable than on a bmx. I can't really say I can manual consistently yet, but it's getting there. 
I am just backwheeling without a brake yeah, whenever I see videos of other people doing it it seems to be just that :P
But I'll try pumping a bit more, that does make sense.
After years of attempting manuals I learned that my main mistake was not applying pressure on the pedals, so that might be the key here as well.
Thanks!

When backwheeling stuff with the back brake locked there's a lot of room for error, you can be pretty sloppy and get away with it because as soon as you hit he edge your job is done. But you'll need pretty good manuals to do them up stuff and hold it. As soon as your tyre touches down you need to know whether you're too far forward or back and adjust accordingly.

Maybe the mod geo exaggerates it but you seem to sit quite high in a manual, try bending your legs and leaning back more.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 6:37 PM, LEON said:

When backwheeling stuff with the back brake locked there's a lot of room for error, you can be pretty sloppy and get away with it because as soon as you hit he edge your job is done. But you'll need pretty good manuals to do them up stuff and hold it. As soon as your tyre touches down you need to know whether you're too far forward or back and adjust accordingly.

Maybe the mod geo exaggerates it but you seem to sit quite high in a manual, try bending your legs and leaning back more.

This seems to be the manual spot on this bike, on the bmx I did have way better manual posture which was quite far back, with the front wheel a lot closer to the ground. I'll try leaning back further on my next ride but last time I tried it wasn't very stable.