Itch and rash on Bumpy surfaces

Topsy

Had this happen for a while now after a couple of laps of the local pumptrack (dirt) and attributed it to dust, blood flow or whatever, I never actually have it much thought.

But the day before yesterday I actually got a pretty bad itch again on the inside of my under-, elbow and upper-arm when riding a roadbike over a gravel track for a few km, so not really utilising the muscles in the region a lot.

First time I noticed that I actually get slightly blotchy skin, though it's gone in 2mins when I take a break. Itches like hell though whilst it's there.

Not anything that concerns me a lot, but I do wonder why it's happening? Anyone getting anything similar?

if it looks like after being stung by nettles, it's probably urticaria, an allergic reaction to something. probably much more likely caused by clothing or vegetation pollen, but i guess sweating is a possibility too or a combination of sweating and some kind of cosmetic product.

the rash can be treated easily with medication, but finding out the cause might be trickier (it involves a bit of boring though not hurtful testing).

(i'm not a doctor, only have had allergies all my life. so do get it checked out if it bothers you or if it gets worse)

Edited by jeff costello
  • Like 1

Maybe 'rash' was a bit a strong word, it doesn't stay nearly as long as any regular rash, it also doesn't get as bad as nettles (though they never really got that bad as much as I remember).

Happens with long or short sleeves, so I doubt it's clothing. Pollen/sweating could be, but why would it only affect that area?

I once figured it must be something to do with vibrations but I can't quite see how that makes sense.

On a normal ride the other day the wife and me had this the track was gravely and I was riding with a bout 70psi in the tyres I thought it was just the vibration kinda like what happens with vibration white finger the vibration shakes the blood out of your capelarys I'm speculating a bit though