Has 1 finger braking made normal setups feel wrong?

JT!

Just putting together a new bike and I had to move the break levers inwards the best part of two inches so that my index finger lined up with with the tips of the levers. Now the attached gear shifters aren't in a great position. Is this just me or do other trials riders find this problem?

What levers are they, JT? Most decent MTB brakes have relatively short levers these days, with the exception of trail brakes etc as usual.
Can you move the shifters inboard at all? Often possible to play around with them, and even swap L&R mounts across if they are indeed attached rather than integrated (Y)

• Like 1

Shimano Claris 8 speed. They do appear to be detachable, but I don't see a way around it.

A previous bikes I had I was able to move the shifters onto the opposite side of the lever.

I can't be the only one that was fairly confused by the title of this? By reading the post I didn't quite see where the broken finger came in! :P

I'd be surprised if the shifters can't be detached to be honest, but I guess everything is possible.

6 hours ago, Topsy said:

I can't be the only one that was fairly confused by the title of this? By reading the post I didn't quite see where the broken finger came in! :P

I'd be surprised if the shifters can't be detached to be honest, but I guess everything is possible.

Fixed!

22 hours ago, craigjames said:

What type of brakes are they? Claris is a touring groupest, they tend to have longer levers.

Sidepull, same as on road bikes.
And yes they do have long levers. They're basically on a road bike with flat bars.

On 8/25/2017 at 4:17 AM, Ali C said:

most MTB riders use one finger and from what I've seen most rider run the shifters between the grip and the brake lever, I know I do.

Yeah I had a bike a while ago and I changed it so it was like that. With these this isn't an option as far as I can tell.

I'll just learn to live with it, maybe move them closer to the grips a little.