Pure Manual

Boni Toe

Yep, it kind of sucks but once you get it you've got it, if that doesn't sound too obvious. The advice I give to people all the time is focus on leaning back rather than pulling up, I see a lot of beginners (on BMX and mountain bikes mostly, been a while since I've seen a trials rider :p) that think the effort is in lifting the front up but that means your body is over the front so it's just going to go back down quickly - so lean back hard and get the front wheel to follow you back instead.

I only really got the hang of it by practising pulling up the front from a trackstand, when you can bring the front up enough to loop out from a trackstand with no pedal stroke or endo for preload you're good to go. 

Also I was told to wear a rucksack with a tonne of weight in to help get momentum to leaning back, this just leads to horrendous sweat patches so don't listen to anyone who says that :P

Edited by bikeperson45

i found the heavy pack thing makes a massive difference, usually lets me irk better manuals out (i'm shit at them though) so it's probably not a good tool to learn with cause it won't teach you the proper skills

13 hours ago, ogre said:

i found the heavy pack thing makes a massive difference, usually lets me irk better manuals out (i'm shit at them though) so it's probably not a good tool to learn with cause it won't teach you the proper skills

I'm probably biased due to going out with a big camping bag and expecting to learn manuals within the day though... I was an optimistic 14 year old after all. It was probably a year or so before I actually felt alright at them.

10 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

Maybe build one of these? I'm crap at manuals and need to sort it out, going to give building one of these a go today, let you know how I get on....

I made one, seems to help me. Don't bother with the 1 x 6 stage and stabalizer wings. The 2 x 6 base is good enough for side to side balance if you're not a complete newbie. If you can trackstand you don't need them.

Just built one 2, also didn't use the long board underneath or the outrigger. Mine is a bit shit though, didn't have the right material lying around as was being a bit of a tight arse so bodged together what I could. Will give it a go and if it falls apart may have to do a proper job....!

• 4 weeks later...
On August 31, 2017 at 10:57 AM, DeersSlayer said:

I made one, seems to help me. Don't bother with the 1 x 6 stage and stabalizer wings. The 2 x 6 base is good enough for side to side balance if you're not a complete newbie. If you can trackstand you don't need them.

Finally I can balance a manual on 'the machine' for about 20 seconds. Damn good workout for the core muscles! It will probably be years before I can hold a real manual 20 seconds while actually riding street!