Progression.. And weight!

Joshemerytrials

Hey guys,

Im 25 and started Moto trials this year.. a couple of months ago I decided to get a cycle trials bike to mess around on and improve balance/fitness for my Moto trials. 

I've really got into cycle trials far more than I thought I would and I enjoy them both just as much so if you can I highly recommend doing both. 

So 2 months in I'm looking like this.. trackstand pretty much until I can't be bothered anymore. Flicking the back wheel around.. almost 180 I just can't seem to get my body around enough to do it fully. Back wheel hops I can pedal kick into them and pretty much hop wherever and turn ect using pedal kicks again pretty much until I get tired (Pretty quick ) I can do small gaps and hop to two pallets high I just can't seem to get any higher. Pedal up to two pallets high. I bunny hop like complete crap and side hops only to curb height.. manual.. no go 

Introductions out the way, how much difference does bodyweight make. I'm 5"11 13'4 stone bulky build. No doubt it would help but would it be that much of a difference to say drop down to 11 stone? 

I got a mod bike but I've noticed the majority seem to ride 24 street or 26 competition bikes. Will riding a mod limit the height of stuff I can get up? Would I be better with off with a different bike? 

I seem to be absolutely knackered after like 30 minuites of cycle trials whereas I can ride my Moto all day. Is it best to get fit by doing something else or is it a case of just riding and fitness will improve?

ive kind of hit a platue on hoping up 2 pallets and can't seem to do much else. What should I do next? 

I know the questions are vague and there probably isn't a right answer but any advice would be sweet! 

I don't think weight is an issue, so long as you are strong enough to carry that weight, it's more about correct technique which is about correct practice.

I heard one guy on here say trials doesn't get you fit but you you need to be fit for trials. I think over time I've come to agree with that statement, an exercise regime focused on leg and core strength with plenty of flexibility thrown in will certainly benefit you. 

There is no right or wrong bike to ride, it's all about personal pref really and with practice you should be able to pull big stuff on your mod, however, may be worth checking out a few other bikes such as a 24 Street, you might find them a bit easier to ride. Personally speaking I find competition style bikes such as mods less intuitive to ride as I come from a Motorcross and mountain biking background. It's took owning a few bikes to come to that conclusion though and now only have one that I am comfortable with.

If honest it sounds like you are making good progress  if you can do all the stuff you mentioned above after 2 months so just keep plugging away at it dude.

• Like 1

To be fair, if you're getting spent after 30mins of riding your bike, then that suggests that doing it more should get you fit?

Riding 20" bikes doesn't necessarily translate over as well to other types of riding, and from speaking to customers I generally found mototrials dudes got on better with 26" bikes as they feel like less of a jump in style/riding.  That said, there's nothing stopping you learning more on your 20".  The thing to remember is that the basics all come reeeelatively easy, but then it's just a case of refinement and progression at which point it does feel like you hit a plateau.  That's what stops a lot of people carrying on with it, so just keep putting the hours in and you should be fine.

Weight needn't be the end of the world - I know of a couple of riders who were over 5 stone heavier than you but did hefty stuff and all with a really smooth style too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

weight shouldn't be a huge issue, i am 17 stone :o its all in the tekkers. Just being on the bike even for half an hour or so as much as possible will get you feeling more comfortable and things will just start improving gradually. 

Weight is all relative. You'd get used to a light bike and end up trying to make it lighter. I'm building up a 24" that currently weighs a ton but i'll get used to it. Don't get too hung up on the finer details like weight etc. Just enjoy whatever you ride!