Visiting the Peak District

MadManMike

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

So far we've done Buxton, Matlock and we've just done Heights of Abraham and are now.munching chips on the weird non-seafront seafront.

It's been good so far, pretty chilled out :)

The cave tour was fun, too.

Are you in Derby Friday ?? I beg you to go into the city centre for the comedy night at the old bell Hotel. It's on the last Friday of every month. They have some cracking beer there too. I'm going to it by myself it's that good. 

48 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Are you in Derby Friday ?? I beg you to go into the city centre for the comedy night at the old bell Hotel. It's on the last Friday of every month. They have some cracking beer there too. I'm going to it by myself it's that good. 

Nope we head home on Thursday unfortunately. Gonna go via Alton Towers I think.

Mam Tor is planned for tomorrow, unless the weather is awful :)

Balls, I totally forgot about this. Dave has covered much of what is have out in my list anyway so not so bad. If you do go to the Padley Gorge/Hathersage area, I recommend The Chequers on Froggatt Edge/A625. The Bull's Head in Castleton is good after a Man Tor walk as well. Make sure you check out the old A625 on Man Tor as well - it's an old road that has been broken by successive landslides. Great for photos and MTB/trials. 

Yeah too late unfortunately, we got home this evening. All good stuff for future visits though, I'm sure we'll venture that way again soon - especially as it's not as far as I'd expected.

We walked down the old A625 actually, there was loads of parts that looked like fun on a bike. In fact, most of the places we went I wished I had my bike with me. The A625 was fascinating, seeing all the layers of road was pretty cool. We started from the top and didn't realise what it was at first, it was only the white lines further down that gave it away. Pretty sketchy that it was used for so long after some of the first slides!

Thanks for posting these up anyway, definitely going in the "future ref" folder!

12 hours ago, anzo said:

Thanks for this. Going to check somebody those out. Where do you live? 

I'm in loscoe, about 20 mins from Matlock.

I went to the air crash site yesterday actually. Its a fair old trek up there but there are easier routes. If you attempt it during these months wear warm waterproofs and decent waterproof boots as you have to walk across Moors.  I'll post up some photos later on...

17 hours ago, anzo said:

I'm in loscoe, about 20 mins from Matlock.

I went to the air crash site yesterday actually. Its a fair old trek up there but there are easier routes. If you attempt it during these months wear warm waterproofs and decent waterproof boots as you have to walk across Moors.  I'll post up some photos later on...

Oh nice, not far from me at all. I often drive through there to see a friend as he lives there too. The real ale place looks good.