Disc Rotor Adaptor 180mm to 203mm

David

1 minute ago, Daviesdt said:

Are your brakes post mount? You don't mention. Have you checked that your forks are ok with a 203mm rotor? The large rotor increases the stress on the forks IS mounts so you need to check the max rotor size the manufacturer recommends.

Brakes are both post mount. Warranty only covers up to 180mm which seems fairly standard but I'm willing to take that risk.

• Like 1

If you've got BB5s (which I think the Ion has from standard?), then before going to bigger rotors it might be worth giving the Trialtech Sport Disc Brake Pads a try.  I've used them on my Hope and my Magura brakes and the difference in braking power from normal pads is pretty amazing!

On 11/2/2017 at 9:40 AM, Mark W said:

If you've got BB5s (which I think the Ion has from standard?), then before going to bigger rotors it might be worth giving the Trialtech Sport Disc Brake Pads a try.  I've used them on my Hope and my Magura brakes and the difference in braking power from normal pads is pretty amazing!

Hi Mark,

Yes BB5 on the front (which works well to be honest) but I've upgraded to an old Saint M810 on the rear. However, the brake just isn't performing well at all. It's brand new (I got very lucky on Ebay!) with sintered pads and I've given it a fresh bleed. If I wet the rotor it works amazingly but progressively gets worse after a short time. I've had quite a lot of rides on it now and followed all the normal bedding procedures so something isn't right. I thought starting again with a new rotor and pads might help things but maybe I am going over the top?!

Nah, that sounds like you've got either a contaminated rotor or contaminated pads (from your "Good when wet, then gets worse" comment), so switching both out would be a good call.

Just as a random other point of order, don't use disc brake cleaner on them :P

34 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Nah, that sounds like you've got either a contaminated rotor or contaminated pads (from your "Good when wet, then gets worse" comment), so switching both out would be a good call.

Just as a random other point of order, don't use disc brake cleaner on them :P

I suspect it is contamination. Oh, what's wrong with disc brake cleaner? :huh:

So the new rotors and adaptors arrived today. The front works fine but the rear caliper sits too high on the rotor :S The adaptor appears to bring the caliper more towards the front of the bike than the previous one.

I've attached a photo of the rear adaptor I purchased. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Hmm, it looks as if the equivalent shimano adaptor in 180mm might do the trick...

Edit: On second thoughts I noticed the original Avid mounts appeared to both be identical. Does this mean maybe the Front 203mm Shimano mount will work on the rear? 

Edited by David

• 6 years later...