Riding Tips Please!

grenosteve

Hi guys,

Been enjoying the Arcade, but due to darkness and wetness after work, I've been just working on the basics on the drive. Got a few questions if anyone can help.

When doing static back hops, should I be doing a small pedal kick? I can only do more than a few if I pedal kick, but then I'm not really staying on one small spot...

Next, I've been learning to trackstand, then go straight to back wheel, but land the back wheel where the front was. Also trying to use as little movement in the back wheel as possible so I could do it starting with each wheel on separate rocks etc... Should this be a pedal kick and an English type hop in one movement, or should I get well up on the back wheel before the kick? Guessing an arcade's gearing may make this harder than on a full on trials bike...

Lastly, any tips on going front wheel to back? I can just do it, but my back wheel is miles off where my front wheel was. I just cant generate any more forward movement before the back wheel touches down.

Cheers in advance for any help!

Steve.

I’ve not been riding that long but I find I don’t need to pedal kick to static back hop... once your balance is getting fairly decent you can almost just balance on the back without hardly hopping at all.. just very slight hops flexing through the ankles works best. 

When i first started I was hoping all over the place so just keep practicing ! 

Cheers Josh.

I'm kicking less now, so hopefully will get better with time. Still a long ways to go though!

Getting the hang of up to front, then swapping to back. Still having to do a longish endo then a small kick once the rear touches down, so no chance of doing it on anything thin yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Practice!

The more comfortable on getting onto the back wheel either through hopping or just weight movement the easier it will be to stay on the back. It takes time to find the right balance point for whatever move you are setting up for..

Might be worthwhile having a play with your bar and brake position as well so that you are comfortable when you are up there and not trying to get yourself into a position where it isn't easy to adjust.