Finger ache

Mikee

Since getting back into riding trials reasonably often about 2 years ago, I have been struggling with finger ache (middle and ring finger on both hands). This always used to happen to me if I had been riding all day, but now it happens quite quickly and ends my riding prematurely.

I know that a lot of these problems can be grip and lever position related, but where do I start? Thicker or thinner grips? In, out, up or down on the lever positions?

This might be way off but are you one finger braking or two finger? I know 2 finger can increase strain on your middle finger because that is the one doing the most work which conversely increases stress on your ring finger because that is the one then taking any pull on the bars. 

Probably got tight forearms. 

With most people spending a lot of time at a computer forearms can get tight causing pain in the hands. I got this really bad riding trails/dh in the alps in the summer.

Generally muscle tightness gets worse over time unless you do something about it. So if you haven't ridden for a while, your forearms have probably got tighter since then. 

Try these exercises -  

also look into magnesium spray or even magnesium supplementation. 

Ive just ordered one of these, hoping it will help a lot - https://armaid.com/

Get a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, go fill it with sand stick your hand in it and open it as far as possible then close as far as possible and repeat ... strengthen those hands, or just pick up big rocks as you are walking and hold them with proper posture as you walk. 

Oniy downside to strong hands is all new 2 finger levers feel like microwaved pudding mushy mush pies.

also look at your body position- when you are trackstanding, when on rear wheel etc... see if something is strange or looks strained- could be your cranks are too long which means > your hip shifts differently which means your shoulders are not parallel and your elbow will make your wrist will make your hand feel numb... never look at what is hurting, follow down the chain of body mechanics to see what is actually leading to your fingers hurting on the bike.  Good luck 

• Like 4

On 1/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, Mikee said:

Cheers for the replies guys. I wasn't expecting it to go scientific. Lots to think about.

I live in a land where marijuana is legal.

On occasion I end up writing a long reply.

These two facts may or may not be related.

• Like 3