East Kent Riders? Margate/Canterbury etc...

musicality

Recently moved to Canterbury. Although before moving I rode motocross enduro/technical singletrack, the move has required taking a break from motor's for a bit and lack of any large mountains for technical dh in the area has pushed me towards streety trials.

Currently only got an overly heavy full-squish bike I had lying about (Let's call is muscle training for now.), will hopefully change that in the coming weeks. If all goes right, and you can deal with a semi-quick over ambitious learner I'd be down for a few rides.

• 5 months later...

Margate rider myself, regular cyclist, mountain biker not a trials rider, but trying to get into street type stuff on the MTB to make doorstep rides more interesting.

Current goal is to gain bunny hop height.

There's loads of stuff around the Turner centre, and Walpole bay clifftops of various heights which I'm slowly working my way up, either to hop onto or drop off of.

• 1 month later...

Detoured on my commute home along coast starttng Pegwell bay, definitely a variety of spots between there and Ramsgate harbour. Maybe not so much if you're ultra pro, I don't know, I only see stuff within my capability and not much further beyond my ability. My ability being that of a beginner at trials on a rigid 26" mtb but having ridden mtb for years. Then a few spots suitable for beginners along the cliff tops (see image) heading toward King George park. If you're pro trials then ride down these steps turn left at the bottom and along the beach are some big rocks broken concrete structures. Actually, you can see then in 3d map view if you move out over cliff tops and rotate around. Might need to wait for tide to be out not sure I don't go down that way much. Beach is a bit unrideable down there (ie loose sand and/or flint stone & chalk rock).

vicgdns.jpg

Edited by marg26

• 5 months later...

Random day off booked tomorrow and access to car granted mean I'm gonna give Deal skate park a go in the morning, been meaning to for a while. Not much experience of skateparks, but from photos/videos online looks like it might be one of the better ones in the area. Might have to take knee/elbow pads for this one.

K68u7BqMkKvbRjw1N5JEQjGtHO4L82H2WwVHzPD7

Well, all that concrete was quite a lot more intimidating than I expected. This pic is looking at the deepest part of the bowl. It goes round anti-clockwise and get shallower in stages. I didn't ride it much at all so wasn't really worth the 20-25 minute each way drive. Not much for beginner there.
On the drive home I stopped off at that place in the picture above. Didn't realize there's another spot at the top of that at street level. Quite a good spot for beginner, maybe more advanced stuff there with rocks and that.

• 2 months later...

Found this nice little spot this afternoon. I knew there was a line of rocks along the side of the road from before I started trying to do trials, but never spotted this. There's a line I can almost just ride over (start on rock rear wheel leaning against and heading through the gap toward RH arrow), but beyond my skill level to do it with real trials control.

g14K3u-UkP0FJuRiQEWLL7NiSkgtaAihz64D6zOB

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all just picked myself up an old 26 with an unknown frame (possibly Echo) but reasonable bits which I’m planning on getting working and getting back into some hopping about so would be great if there’s some others around Ashford that are up for getting together as it was always nicer to ride with a few people back when I used to ride (knocking on 20 years ago) 

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody.

I'm toying with the idea of coming out on my bike this weekend - despite the weather.

I haven't ridden in 18 months, but can only assume that I'm still amazing. Whereabouts in Kent do people live - Margate, Ramsgate, Maidstone/Ashford by the looks of things. Any good spots/locations worth getting in the car and driving to? Anybody out and about? 

@Tractor62 @Connorh320 @marg26 @Nisodemus @musicality

Would be interested, but I've got too much last minute Christmas shopping :S and family stuff to do .

Yes I'm Margate based. There's a fair amount of spots scattered around Margate I know of. I mainly focus on spots suitable for my beginner skills, but also plenty of aspirational spots I see - I'm unsure whether a more capable rider would find them interesting or not though.

Yep. 

If I come to Margate/Ramsgate, it'd need to be in the morning for me since I'm going to drive to Bournemouth later in the afternoon. You're welcome to come to Tunbridge Wells - it's very good for natural, but not for street and therefore perhaps not ideal for beginners. Perhaps there's other stuff inbetween us?

Sorry, family changed plans, don't think I'll be able to make the 28th now unfortunately. I had a look at Herne bay on streetview earlier, 

https://goo.gl/maps/VkV87cTTWe8iMtef9

https://goo.gl/maps/wb2Ubzy1mpWd24Nw9

Definitely will be up for a meet up at some point, like a less Christmassy time of year!

I've done bits and pieces of more natural riding, and as long as it's not all too big then I'm fine with that, makes a change from street stuff which can get a bit samey.

Edited by marg26

On 20/12/2019 at 10:19 PM, Stephen Morris said:

Hi everybody.

I'm toying with the idea of coming out on my bike this weekend - despite the weather.

I haven't ridden in 18 months, but can only assume that I'm still amazing. Whereabouts in Kent do people live - Margate, Ramsgate, Maidstone/Ashford by the looks of things. Any good spots/locations worth getting in the car and driving to? Anybody out and about? 

@Tractor62 @Connorh320 @marg26 @Nisodemus @musicality

Im from lydd, so not not much of a trek to get to ashford or folkestone. I'm also happy to ride anywhere in kent really! Ridden tunbridge wells loads, used to ride herne bay a lot, not ridden margate/ramsgate but happy to explore.

If anyone ever wants to ride, PM me here and ill give you my number and we can sort something out :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks quite challenging! On Factionapp, there's also Wellington Rocks just down the road which probably might be better for beginner riders like myself.

I added a few photos of Margate spots on Factionapp over the Christmas break, and this afternoon rode home from work via Ramsgate cliffs port/harbour/seafront and took more photos of those rocks by the port (posted above previously). Wanted to get more photos today but the weather started getting wet, cold and light was poor so decided to head home instead. The photo I posted (above 21st September 2018) doesn't really do that spot justice, there's bigger stuff in that area. I'm half tempted to say Ramsgate might be the better area than Margate for trials.

Edited by marg26

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry chaps I forgot I posted in here a little while ago.

maybe worth setting up another Facebook page/group. As people sign into there more regularly.

im definitely keen to get out properly on my bike in near future. I am near Cranbrook but definitely happy to travel at weekend, ashford, herne bay, Ramsgate all had good spots from what I can remember.

Wondered about a Facebook group too... Calling it the obvious Kent Trials would easily get us confused with Kent Trails. So obviously let's look at the Etymology of the name Kent:

"The name Kent is believed to be of British Celtic origin and was known in Old English as Cent, Cent lond, Centrice (all pronounced with a 'hard C' as 'Kent-'). In Latin sources Kent is mentioned as Cantia, Canticum. The meaning is explained by some researchers as 'coastal district,' or 'corner-land, land on the edge' (compare Welsh cant 'bordering of a circle, tire, edge,' Breton cant 'circle')."

So my vote is for Cant Trials.

On 19/01/2020 at 7:02 PM, marg26 said:

Wondered about a Facebook group too... Calling it the obvious Kent Trials would easily get us confused with Kent Trails. So obviously let's look at the Etymology of the name Kent:

"The name Kent is believed to be of British Celtic origin and was known in Old English as Cent, Cent lond, Centrice (all pronounced with a 'hard C' as 'Kent-'). In Latin sources Kent is mentioned as Cantia, Canticum. The meaning is explained by some researchers as 'coastal district,' or 'corner-land, land on the edge' (compare Welsh cant 'bordering of a circle, tire, edge,' Breton cant 'circle')."

So my vote is for Cant Trials.

I’ll let you explain when everyone asks then!!

i think a group on Facebook would be the best idea though.

Would anyone fancy going Ramsgate or herne bay on the second Sunday of February (9th) ?

• Like 1