Calling all TF carpenters & joiners

forteh

Possibly stupid question, but what was used before routers were a thing?

I have been wanting to make a small coat hook board with a roman ogee curve thingy around it but I can't really justify getting a router just for that alone. (However spending hours doing it by hand would be okay..)

Haven't found anything on that though, possibly due to me not knowing the right search terms to start with!

I found sash planes but there are so few of them around that I doubt that is what was used.

Damnit, I feared it might've simply been that but I was hoping that there was some nifty little device that people had forgotten about! 

You're right though, there's that coffee table to which I bought legs on ebay last year that needs making too..

@Topsy Moulding planes would have been used for edge detailing, you can pick them up for virtually nothing but they require skill and patience to sharpen and set up.

roalds-molding-plane.jpg

You can pick up routers for very little, I got a £250 Makita fixed base (rare in the UK) from an old chap for a tenner!

Edited by CurtisRider

6 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Just a thought, why don't we have a TF making thread? We have some talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds on here so it would be interesting to see what they have made and pick brains

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 8:06 AM, CurtisRider said:

@Topsy Moulding planes would have been used for edge detailing, you can pick them up for virtually nothing but they require skill and patience to sharpen and set up.

roalds-molding-plane.jpg

You can pick up routers for very little, I got a £250 Makita fixed base (rare in the UK) from an old chap for a tenner!

Well, not finding a router bargain and not having the motivation to look for one every single day you can guess what I did..

I suppose in the next few weeks the makers thread will let you know if I was successful with the plane or not! :P

• Like 1

Buy the best router you can afford, they're the best tool in your arsenal in my opinion and worth every penny.

Like Paul I have a Makita 3612c router and it's worked pretty much every day now for nearly 9 years, it's easily paid for itself time and time over.

• Like 1

If you want a cheap, new and compact router then invest in one of these:

Katsu Trimmer

It's a clone of the Makita RT0700C and it is very good. I use it in preference to my Bosch palm router, and it's very handy for light duty work.

de48b5f0-6672-4a3c-a76d-1430c569bf31_102

I'm going to be getting the Makita cordless version soon as I'm going completely cordless with all my power tools, but I'll still keep this for in the workshop :)

• Like 1

I spent 8 quid on a dovetail bit from screwfix :D

I could spend hundreds (looking at the axminster site) but I would have little to no use for most of them, I'm a mechanical engineer rather than a carpenter.  The way I see it, I'll buy bits as I need them for a particular job; if I can design the job around the tooling I have then all the better :)

8 hours ago, Danny said:

With routers do you end up spending a fortune in bits?

Depends on what you are doing, a handful of mine are £50-100 and frustratingly they rarely get used but are essential for some of the jobs I do. You can get really dirt cheap ones off ebay, I've used a few and have been pleasantly surprised at £2 each! 

I've found the 20-30 quidders at screwfix suit me well. Remember with a router to let the bit do the cut and not try and ram it through the material and they'll last well.

When I first started playing with a router I had some 1/4" cooler bosch thing and was wondering why my 1/8" an 1/4" cutters were snapping. Realisation you don't need the might of Thor :lol: