YO & TOM TRIBOULAT HOME SPOT TRAINING

freestyl''air

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

The video was cool and all, but the fact that despite that enormous ramp and run-up you not only put in the world's largest bitch crank, and then gave it to us in glorious super slomo sealed the deal.

Why can't people just... Get over this?
Why is it specifically using cranks that's a problem? What about all the correction hops or sketchy landings? What about running uncomfortably flat tyres? 
It vexes me because I just don't understand. As far as my daily experience can tell me, people only care because (and beginning since) Ali cares (with a few exceptions), which is pretty weak reasoning in my books :P

Maybe I'll take up leaving similarly belligerent comments about people feathering brakes in manuals. That, too, is totally unnecessary, but somehow people don't seem to care.

It's Ok if it genuinely bothers someone, but could we not focus public comments more on things like the, frankly, massive up-to-fronts (in the street-bike paradigm)?

We're supposed to be trials riders, damnit. Cranks are what it's all about! If doing things without cranks was the desirable standard, why did we give a special name to doing gaps without them? Haha. (I know that's a different situation. I'm just an argumentative little shit.)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, aener said:

Why can't people just... Get over this?

Purely an aesthetic thing for me - the idea of putting out a video is generally for it to be visually enjoyable, and for me things like that reduce that enjoyment (and always have, since long before Ali had a YouTube channel ;) ) Feathering brakes in manuals to the extent of making them jerky and lots of correction hops are in the same league too. Bitch cranking looks gimpy. Yes it gets results, but it looks gimpy.

I would imagine you take that view to a slightly different place given your brakeless riding, where there are inevitably some compromises in smoothness/aesthetic due to the sheer "holy f**k that's done brakeless" factor (if that reads like I'm slating how your riding looks, it's not meant to, I've just not worded it too well)

Don't get me wrong, these guys are very capable riders and I've shown my appreciation for that numerous times in the past, but when there's a consistent niggle that's been mentioned before (by the riders themselves too) and then forgotten about again it's a shame. Minor points yes. So minor that they could be rectified with relative ease and make a major difference to the end result :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

Ryan Leech only made Manifesto because Ali told him to.

:lol::lol::lol:!

I bought one of Ryan's bikes off pinkbike awhile back, a manifesto with a few prototype parts.  It was cool as could be.  Also, it was like riding trials on bus made out of turd covered bricks.  It made me respect him a million times more.

Back to the OP. I really enjoy the triboulat brothers, they are doing some MASSIVE moves with for the most part, a lot of style.  (The footplants are rad).  Also, remember this is just a few instagram clips from the last couple weeks, not some majorly edited and thought out video.  I can't figure out why people get after them so much.

• Like 1

Enjoyed this loads. One thing thats becoming obvious is how they are improving all the time which is always good.

Every street rider brings something different to the table and I'll happily watch some one bitch crank their way across some obstacles if the riding is like that or not. As Flip says.....we're trials riders.

Also @Mark W I think Manifesto is the name of Ali's cat....Ryan asked permission to use that name too....probably.

• Like 1

Let's put it this way, I don't ever want to watch a street trials video and say "that's a shame". Unfortunately it happens a lot, I don't think that because I want people to fail or anything, I only think that because I don't see the riders I'm watching using their full potential.

I'm glad bitch cranks are starting to get a bad rep, the're a get-out clause for not putting int the time for doing a line without them.

I've seen a few comments mentioning gaps and drop gaps needing a big crank to execute them and asking if they count as bitch cranks...No, they're not the same. If a technique REQUIRES a pedal stroke then that's completely different than putting a pedal stroke in to make up for lack of timing/body position/balance that otherwise can be done without a great big bitch crank. 

I understand that you can still gap without a pedal stroke but I really hope I don't have to explain why one looks better than the other.

Having said all that, if you're putting out Insta clips and don't have the time to get rid of bitch cranks I won't blame you for uploading it anyway BUT perhaps waiting a little longer could be better.

Braking in manuals sucks, I hardly do any manual lines where I have to brake and if/when I do, I die a little inside (especially if you can hear it!). I agree with Luke that jerky manuals have no place on film.

Excess hops are almost in the same league. When I've filmed with Mark, I've usually give myself a hop limit for each line, if I go over that limit I have to restart the line again. Tedious but I think if you want your riding to look good you have to be strict at times. (vlogs are different, call me a hypocrite but try making a video every week with super strict rules and see how that works out).

Can't deny these guys have skills though, if they polished up some of these points highlighted they'd be insane! 

• Like 1

7vG8Cxa.gif

I actually enjoyed it, maybe because of all the massive up-to-fronts! Love an up-to-front :-). Seems like they are tidying up on the bits people are commenting on from previous videos mind you! Good job guys!

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 3

I should probably point out I was mostly replying to the comments rather than directly at this video (that first 180 though...). Gotta agree with Ben that those up to fronts are pretty slick, especially considering it's an overhanging table rather than a solid wall, scary stuff!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 5:13 PM, cwtrials said:

:lol::lol::lol:!

I bought one of Ryan's bikes off pinkbike awhile back, a manifesto with a few prototype parts.  It was cool as could be.  Also, it was like riding trials on bus made out of turd covered bricks.  It made me respect him a million times more

Have got hold of a leech frame. Don't suppose yanyone knows if Duke forks can be modified down to 40mm travel to get the geo right? BB looks like it's going to be a bit low with trialtrch forks.