Cable routed through forks.. dragging on the wheel!

Joshemerytrials

I have an old hex with the arcade fork, have to zip tie the brake cable to the fork immediately after it comes out of the steerer tube.. otherwise it rubs on tire as you describe.

Welcome to trials, technology is about 10 years late compared to other mountain bike indistries and nothing ever works normally- a file, grinder and zip ties become your friend..

• Like 3

I find that a velcro strap is a better option than a zip-tie

• can be re-used many, many times obviously,
  • Its more useable when you're transporting the bike*
  • Doesn't scratch the paintwork as much as a zip-tie when it moves

*as i don't want to remove hose and re-bleed, I remove the caliper / adapter and velcro this to the fork just under the crown meaning i can remove my bars and stem and you're less likely to have hose problems.

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1

Little known fact- you can reuse zip ties, use a knife or a thin screw driver and hold up the tab that clicks into place and undue... honestly I have 800 zip ties for every “velcro strap” , maybe they are more common over the pond. Americans don’t know about such future things, we use all of our velcro to put shoes on because we are too stupid to understand how to tie shoe laces.

also I dont have hydro brakes... taking front end apart is easy, disconnect at lever for good times.

you also cant cut yourself on a velcro strap, sometimes you need that sharp plastic cut to feel life.

7B7BA346-FD53-4227-A667-6BFB917AAE66.jpeg

Edited by AndyT
important photograph
  • Like 2

Sounds good I will use a velcro strap when I can get hold of one. There is a cable tie on it already right up to the top of the fork. It’s pulling the brake cable really tight out of the steerer tube but it still drags. Andy, the gap from the steerer tube to the tyre on my hex is crazy there’s pretty much no gap. 

Ive solves the problem for now by dropping the pressure in the tyre to 37.5 psi and it doesn’t catch the cable anymore. 

As ive just come from a mod it feels better with softer tyres anyway. I started with 45 and it felt like a brick my arms are absolutely destroyed from riding the hex this weekend :lol:

thanks all:D