How good are the disc brakes on a 24” inspired?

crunch

I’m looking at buying an inspired Skye team 24” which obviously is disc only for brakes. I’d like the hope I think rather than the magura  mt7

All my other 20”  trials bikes have been magura rim brakes, and I loved their massive locking power. 

In fact we used to tar our rims and made them incredibly sharp. 

I’ve got discs on other mountain bikes and stuff and they’re good, but not that solid lock up the Maguras give on my trials bikes. 

How good are the discs on the smaller 24” wheels? Will they reliably lock up solid? On my 29” they are certainly not as strong as a rim brake, but for mountain biking have obvious advantages.

I see that even today on the world trials circuits not many riders are running discs. Most still have magura rim brakes. 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, crunch said:

I’m looking at buying an inspired Skye team 24” which obviously is disc only for brakes. I’d like the hope I think rather than the magura  mt7

All my other 20”  trials bikes have been magura rim brakes, and I loved their massive locking power. 

In fact we used to tar our rims and made them incredibly sharp. 

I’ve got discs on other mountain bikes and stuff and they’re good, but not that solid lock up the Maguras give on my trials bikes. 

How good are the discs on the smaller 24” wheels? Will they reliably lock up solid? On my 29” they are certainly not as strong as a rim brake, but for mountain biking have obvious advantages.

I see that even today on the world trials circuits not many riders are running discs. Most still have magura rim brakes. 

Thanks

just as good. locking is the same, difference is locking a disc and not a rim feels a little bit less direct because of spoke flex, but doesnt reeeaalllyyy matter.

most competition mods nowadays use rear disc.

works better in the wet, modulation (good for manuals and smooth control) hence why street bikes have them.

26" comps dont because spoke flex on 26 is a lot more noticable,  maguras are more direct- and a little lighter, and also nothing to hit on a sidehop. more "accurate" id say. 

tar on rims is pretty much a thing of the past now. 

its all about what you use the bike for! trials pads in a disc brake can be as good if not better than rim brakes. 

in fact, people have been using disc brakes on trials bikes for years- its nothing new. go for it :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

just as good. locking is the same, difference is locking a disc and not a rim feels a little bit less direct because of spoke flex, but doesnt reeeaalllyyy matter.

most competition mods nowadays use rear disc.

works better in the wet, modulation (good for manuals and smooth control) hence why street bikes have them.

26" comps dont because spoke flex on 26 is a lot more noticable,  maguras are more direct- and a little lighter, and also nothing to hit on a sidehop. more "accurate" id say. 

tar on rims is pretty much a thing of the past now. 

its all about what you use the bike for! trials pads in a disc brake can be as good if not better than rim brakes. 

in fact, people have been using disc brakes on trials bikes for years- its nothing new. go for it :D 

Thank you. 

My concern was why are the mod riders still using front maguras, is it because the discs still aren’t up to the job. 

Hopefully like you say the trials pads make the difference, as my hope tech 3 brakes on my mountain bikes would be a disapointment for trials for sure.  

1 minute ago, crunch said:

Thank you. 

My concern was why are the mod riders still using front maguras, is it because the discs still aren’t up to the job. 

Hopefully like you say the trials pads make the difference, as my hope tech 3 brakes on my mountain bikes would be a disapointment for trials for sure.  

Personal preference, I’d say. If you’re concerned, watch this- and have no more doubts. :D 

Comp rider preferences can generally be put down to whatever the latest trend is, so I wouldn't really read too much into it.  The back brake is the key brake though and they're still using disc for that so that should be fairly indicative of their performance.

The feel of a disc brake is a little different to a rim brake, but with most modern disc brakes now (especially the Hopes and Maguras) they have a lot of bite to go along with the hold you'd expect from a disc brake.  There are also upgrade pads available for them both which help out too.  The brakes on your 29er will be fairly balls because they'll presumably be relatively small rotors (for the wheel size), and depending on the brake will probably have pads a little more aimed at durability and longevity than outright performance.  The main thing is just the larger wheel size though.

I haven't had a chance to compare them to Shimano pads as they weren't around then, but on my Magura and Hope brakes they made a huge difference.  Compared to the standard Hope pads, it's like you've bolted on a bigger rotor.

• Like 1