Looking to get into trials, got a question

JustM

Hey, so I've been looking to get started in trials (on 24") and I have a few questions.

24" ZHI bikes - I could find very little about them, and it seems that I would have to order from a random Chinese site, so obviously I'm a bit cautious. Does anyone have any experiences with these bikes/ordering from their website (not sure if I can link it here)? They seem to be decently priced and come with hydraulic disc brakes as standard which is something rather uncommon in the cheaper bikes (such as the Flow). Buy cheap, buy twice?

Cheers

Stay away from Zhi.  It might be better to look for a used bike or just shop around more.  Decent priced and decent quality entry level bikes are available from Czar, Echo, Because, Neon, and even Inspired.  (see the Inspired flow / flow +).  (Note: if buying a because / neon be super careful on how they are spec'd, as some of the builds are horribly cheap and others really nice)

Zhi is a load of garbage.  The reason you can't find them anywhere buy sketchy places, is because they are horrible quality with horrible business practices.  (Please note: there are some very legit shops and dealers out of China, simply being from China doesn't make something bad, but Zhi is bad).  When I had my online shop I made the mistake of trying to go with Zhi.  After sending them a fairly large amount of money I never heard back from them for about 6 months.  Finally was able to get the direct number for the factory they contract to make their piece of crap items, and paid a local Chinese immigrant to call and yell at them.  They had no plans of sending me anything, but also didn't think I'd be able to find them.

When I finally received my order about 25% of the frames were so badly made I couldn't even sell them.  Poor quality metal, poor workmanship.  Things welded in the wrong place, headtubes machined incorrectly so headsets can't even go in.  Etc.  

I may sound harsh.  But there are quite a few better options.  Support one of them.

Ah cheers for the insight mate. I've had a look at some Because bikes but I've read people complaining about their forks so I think I'll stay away. I'll shop around a little more, but I'll probably end up going with Czar or Inspired.

1 hour ago, JustM said:

Ah cheers for the insight mate. I've had a look at some Because bikes but I've read people complaining about their forks so I think I'll stay away. I'll shop around a little more, but I'll probably end up going with Czar or Inspired.

The because frames are pretty decent for the price. Czar and inspired are good.

it all depends on the kind of trials riding you want to do street strials or comp freestyle do anything kinda trials lol 24 have both styles echo are good for the doing anything kinda trials and inspired are the way to go for street have you looked at the 20" and 26" atall if so whats your thoughts? :)

18 hours ago, onza wanabe said:

it all depends on the kind of trials riding you want to do street strials or comp freestyle do anything kinda trials lol 24 have both styles echo are good for the doing anything kinda trials and inspired are the way to go for street have you looked at the 20" and 26" atall if so whats your thoughts? :)

Ah, forgot to say, yeah street trials. I've not sure about the 26", but I'm not interested in the 20" (way I see it, might as well get a bmx). The reason why I'm leaning towards the Czar and Inspired is mainly because of the geo and secondly because they're both well known trials brands that have a good rep.

3 hours ago, JustM said:

I forgot to add, when looking for a second hand bike what are some of the questions I should be asking? For example, I've found this Inspired Fourplay on Gumtree for £450 which seems like a bargain, but with a few photos and not much info about the bike (and my lack of knowledge) I'd rather ask here before jumping into anything. 

depends on how you ride the 20" i can't stand bmx but i ride 20 i am more of a comp style rider 6ft 2 really comfortable lol

9 hours ago, JustM said:

I forgot to add, when looking for a second hand bike what are some of the questions I should be asking? For example, I've found this Inspired Fourplay on Gumtree for £450 which seems like a bargain, but with a few photos and not much info about the bike (and my lack of knowledge) I'd rather ask here before jumping into anything. 

I'd get that bike, looking like it's a bargain for a first bike to me. Few guys on here would be able to tell you the year of the frame and then the geometry but £450 for what appears to be a decent fourplay is a good deal in my book. Make sure the frame isn't damaged, dented or has welds cracked, make sure the brakes work (he does say the do), find out the make of the brakes. He also says it has a new hope rear hub which is great. I think anything else is relatively easy to swap out or replace if it doesn't suit you.

Yeah, I think that's a 2011 model too. afaik that's simply how the disk mount is mounted to the frame, not a crack.

I think it's a very decent frame to ride, quite a bit more trialsy than the newer fourplays and I'd say brilliant for a beginner wanting to also try different riding styles.

5 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

Hang on, is that a crack below the rear brake? My stupid phone won't let me zoom in

Screenshot_20180503-064721.png

thats just the gusset the brake is mounted to, theres nothing wrong with it :D 

• Like 1