Is this work putting money into?

Onza Man 88

I've been out of trials for a while now and brought this old 20' Monty as a project but is it worth putting money into?. 

I'm unsure of the model It needs some work but that was the plan as I couldn't afford a new build. 

But is it worth doing up?

20180505_130522.jpg

Depends what you want to achieve, really. From memory those were fun little bikes and would be a good laugh on streety stuff, but they are relatively dated now of course. The good thing is that with trials being rather behind the times compared to the rest of the MTB world, compatibility won't be a huge issue on the most part. Looks like you're stuck with a rear vee on that frame, which some would be put off by so you'll need to make the call there.

If it's for occasional use and just having a bit of fun on, I'd keep it mostly as is and enjoy it as a (presumably) cheap bit of fun. Switch out the contact points (bars/stem, grips, pedals) to tailor to yourself and leave the rest until you've ridden it enough for niggles to present themselves.

If you're wanting to get back into trials a little more then ride it as is for a while, until you're able to pick up something a little better specced and you're golden (Y)

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Luke 

I won't be getting hopes for it then lol maybe some Magura or cheaper shimano. I new it was an old Monty and I only paid £40 for it as is. So I thought that was alright. It has 4 bolt holes so I can have a rear hydrolic rim brake. I also have loads of old parts from my ancient Onza so I will see what I have.  I mainly got it to just get into trials again as I've missed it for to long. 

And thought this would be a good start also I may just buy second hand parts for it.

Edit: on second thought I don't think i can put hydrolics on it.............shame.

Edited by Onza Man 88

Not really worth it in my opinion...looks like a monty alp 219 with a fixed 22 tooth cog up front and a freewheel on the back ,Not really reliable.

chuck it on ebay ,save up some money and get a decent second hand bike thats already kitted out and up to the job.

Well you could upgrade the cranks with front freewheel and a fixed cog on the back ,new bar ,new stem ,Some avid sd7' v brakes with decent pads ,and it would be pretty deceee 

Sell me them tyres B)

Edited by Dave Anscombe

On 5/14/2018 at 0:33 PM, Onza Man 88 said:

Edit: on second thought I don't think i can put hydrolics on it.............shame.

this is not a shame. a good vee brake can perform as well as a magura, and with dedicated vee mounts they're usually lighter too.

i'd invest in some better brake levers these are my favourites. i like the split clamp design and they don't end up all wobly and loose like avid levers do. best price on a pair, they usually throw in new brake cables which will also boost your braking performance. so will some heatsink vee pads.

obviously a better freewheel would improve things no end as would a better bar/stem combo.