Rory Semple

Frame restoration

9 posts in this topic

I’ve had this 24” black market dirt frame for quite a while and the laquer had started cracking a while ago letting the steel start to rust underneath.

It didn’t look too pretty.

39BBE010-329C-4C19-85EA-CF3F832EDDFA.jpeg

0BED7137-F8B0-43D6-B274-34162B84D758.jpeg

FD5FC078-13E6-4566-9CF3-229A625F68AF.jpeg

After the first hour or two of sanding I had got the head tube and down tube mostly cleared of corrosion revealing a Blkmrkt logo I hadn’t even realised was there.1705B35C-A17A-4926-A313-32AA718B908D.thumb.jpeg.9632f0a5adb62fe1b8bad67f314f268c.jpeg

Posted (edited)

After more sanding I’ve managed to get most of the frame down to a near mirror finish.

Quite a contrast compared to how it was when I started.

I’ve coated the frame with some Owatrol rust inhibitor to hopefully stop it getting into that condition again and should have it built back up tomorrow.

889F57F3-D1F1-48AE-8ED4-AEEF3A1707DC.jpeg

4CA7855D-787F-4503-977F-58FA65B8EB86.jpeg

DF28B16E-37D6-4016-AB1E-CC8CB0A414F5.jpeg

Edited by Rory Semple
6 people like this

It still has a few slightly messy bits left on it and the Owatrol has dulled the mirror finish down quite a bit, but overall I’m really happy with how it looks now compared to when I started!

98DA615F-E1EF-4ECF-9939-D15FA5833076.jpeg

1 person likes this

Now to change/strip/paint that seatpost ;)

1 person likes this

Would like to but it is almost impossible to remove. Previous owner had it fitted with a shim and I can’t shift it :/

Plusgas :)

To make rust cleaning much simpler you could have used some anopol C, it's phosphoric acid, pretty nasty stuff but would take all that rust off to clean metal in about 30 mins soak.

1 person likes this

Liked the rust better! Its a deterrent.

My mate used a rusty BMX to get to Uni. Came out one day to see it had been stolen. Oh well, he thought and jumped on the bus. Quarter mile down the road sat at the lights, he looks down and sees his BMX hanging out of a bush. It was that shit the thieves launched it.

1 person likes this

Haha, I hadn’t really thought about that.

When it first started rusting it did look pretty cool, almost like a marble effect underneath the laquer.

I think since I’ve put the effort into making it shiny I should now try and learn how to ride jumps properly haha