Fox Float X2 knocking noise

Tony Harrison

Is this normal? Brand new bike, not ridden. On moderate/hard compression, anywhere in the stroke, there's a knocking sound. Seems to be from the shock rather than bushings but not 100% on that. All bolts/pivots etc are tight and I can't feel any movement by hand.

Anyone else had similar?

UPDATE: I just checked air pressure, was around 120lbs. I boosted it up to 190lbs, my recommended pressure for my weight, and it's much quieter now, but still there...

Is it linked to equalising the negative air spring? I seem to recall that with the ccdba (same layout) you have to pressurise the shock, slowly compress it to set the negative spring and then adjust the pressure from there.

That wouldn't necessarily explain the noise though, is there any discernable physical feedback when the noise occurs?

Worthwhile talking to tf tuned to see if they have experienced it.

For this one you pressurise it and bounce up and down a few times to 25% of the stroke, with the air pump attached. Did that but yeah didn't do much except reduce the noise a bit. Also there's visible oil on the piston, but I guess perhaps that's expected if it's new as they'll have oiled it for assembly.

Sounds as though something isn't right, the ccdba has a slight notch you can feel in the first bit of the stroke as the negative spring equalises but it never makes a noise.

Got another shock you can test it with? I guess speak to YT and get them to send a new one out :)

Edited by forteh

It sounds worse in the video than it is now. It's a tricky one because I could cancel the order now and send the bike back for a refund. Or if I keep it then I either live with the sound, or ask for a warranty check, but then I could be without a bike for however long it takes to deal with it.

I am going to email the video to YT tonight and see what they say. I am meant to be going to France in a months time to ride, so I need to solve this asap! They won't send a new bike as they have sold out until October now.

Shonky fox shock, my cane creek just works :D

I wouldn't presume that YT would send a replacement bike but an off the shelf shock shouldn't be a problem for them to warranty.

Failing that speak to your nearest fox service centre and send YT the bill.

Edited by forteh

John The Mong has got the same bike. His shock has been pissing oil since he got it. Still seems to be working alright though. I don't think his has the knocking noise either. Give him a shout on facebook or something and you can share notes.

So I did more equalisation compressions, sometimes the sound was there, sometimes inaudible. Thought f**k it, time to ride it and see. Rides like an absolute weapon, so much fun. Suspension seems fine and the knock appears to have gone. Also not much more oil to be seen, just residual from where it was put together I think. This weekend will be the first proper ride so I'll see how it behaves then. Thanks for all the ideas etc.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...