Magura Mt5/6 issue

Rory Semple

I’m having some trouble with my front brake. 

It’s a Magura MT5 calliper with MT6 lever body.

I’ve bled it and immediately after doing so, went for a ride and it was feeling fine. However when I went out yesterday it was incredibly inconsistent, going between working spot on and just pulling right to the bars with no power.

Does it just need a better bleed or could there be another issue?

#justmagurathings

Sounds like there might be some air in the system, it'd be worth doing a little top-up at the lever end just to check.  If it keeps doing it, I'd suggest buying an MT2 lever from eBay and just swapping your MT6 lever blade over to it and avoid having to deal with the hassle again.  The MT2/4/5 bodies are seemingly a lot more consistent/reliable than the 6/7 bodies.  Pretty sure it's something to do with the BAT adjuster.  You can replace the BAT adjuster with a bolt which can improve things, although it stops the lever having the same kind of dislocate feature so if you catch the blade on anything it's more likely to snap the blade or the body.

• Like 1

Found out what the issue was today whilst trying to bleed it again.

It appears that the lever body has a leak :(

Is it worth contacting Maugura even though I purchased this second hand?

And does anyone have any temporary fixes that might work until a new brake arrives?

358E7DBF-3FB1-4DA3-BA18-62E5EB457A5B.png

Edited by Rory Semple
Media

Magura are pretty tight on warranty stuff so it might be tricky getting much out of them with it being second hand.  Maybe worth a look into it though but I believe they usually want proof of purchase these days so you might get scuppered by that.